Norwegian Star Cruise Review by lasvegascruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Star Cruise Review by lasvegascruiser
Norwegian Star
Norwegian Star
Member Name: lasvegascruiser
Cruise Date: February 2005
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: IE
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera
First let me tell you I am an experienced cruiser, having cruised 8 times, mostly with Carnival and the last two with Norwegian. Here we go-

Ship: Quite beautiful. Throughways are fragmented so it can be a pain to get to one end of the ship to the other. Do that through deck 7.

Food: I don't know what people have been whining about as the food in the main dining rooms is excellent. I did not try the pay restaurants as I am simply put, a cheapskate. The buffet was OK, but I was disappointed by the lack of fruit like Carnival has. Freestyle is fine. No waiting for us.

Entertainment: The shows were excellent as well for a cruise line. The activities were very low key. Definitely not a partiers cruise. No nighttime parties by the pool with food. Lots of mature folks here.

Weather: I just want let you know the first day-and-half at sea is COLD. Not weather to lay out in. Trust me on that and you won't be AS disappointed knowing that up front.

Cabin: Our cabin was an inside 142 sq. ft. and quite comfortable, but somewhat noisy. We love the enclosed shower.

Service: Our cabin service plain stunk as we only received one washcloth and no ice occasionally in the evening. Two times we were given a note that our door was locked and the DND displayed during turndown service. We were out of our room by 8:30 p.m. and the cabin steward works 'til 9:00. We've never experienced that before. So I adjusted the gratuities -$20 for that. Never felt compelled to do that before, either.

Shore Excursions: DON'T waste your money on snorkeling tours. The water is rough and cloudy. $69 PP is a big price to pay to go swimming and beat up for tips on the way back. People who have cruised and snorkeled in the Caribbean before know the Pacific waters are a waste of time and money. You have been warned.

Casino: Didn't win any money, but the casino has 3 bartop machines offering full-pay poker games in jacks or better and deuces wild. You can play for as little as a nickel. These 3 machines are clearly marked "certified loose." The rest of the bartop machines are less generous.

Conclusion: If you live in California and it's convenient, try it if you can get a good deal. If not, go to Miami and take an Eastern Caribbean cruise. I'm done with NCL for now. I may try them again at a later date, but probably back to Carnival next year. I hope this is helpful.

Publication Date: 05/10/05