Disney Dream Cruise Review by gamtravel

Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 5B

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Honest Disney Dream Review
We took the 3 night cruise on the Disney Dream. We had a wonderful time. We booked our trip through Lynda Hower with Dream Makers Vacation Services. I am so glad that we used a travel agent. Lynda helped us with details about our cruise and I am so glad that we took her advice. We had a Verandah room on Deck 8. Originally, I thought a verandah on deck 5 would be sufficient, but those verandah's are a little different than the other decks. We stayed in Cocoa Beach the night before our cruise and it was approx. a 10 minute drive to the ship!

We arrived at Port Canaveral on Thursday morning at 9:30 am. We were in the front of the line for boarding the ship. Around 10:30 AM, DCL let us begin through security. We then had an easy check-in process and received boarding number 10. We boarded the Dream at approximately 12:00. We went straight to the Aquaduck. The line was short at that time in comparison to the wait for the rest of the cruise. After riding the Aquaduck 5 times, we ate lunch at Cabanas. We did not have a problem finding a seat. The food was good. At 1:30 PM, we were allowed to go to our stateroom. For a cruise ship, our room was spacious. The dual bathrooms were helpful in getting ready. I really loved having a verandah! I think that I will always want a verandah!

We went back to the pool area after unpacking. By this time, the ship was packed and the wait for the aquaduck was 40 minutes! The Aqua Duck was our 8yo favorite part of the cruise. My husband and I thought it was fun too! The going away deck party was a lot of fun. We had to leave early though because it was time to shower for the early dinner. We ate at Royal Palace. The French Onion soup and creme brulee were really good.

The next day we went snorkeling on the catamaran in Nassau. The equipment was in good condition and we saw a lot of fish! We did not see a lot of variety of fish, however, the number of fish was the most that I had ever seen in my 4 times snorkeling. We shopped our way back to the Dream and bought a few souvenirs. Entering the ship was fast and easy. We ate lunch at Cabanas and enjoyed the soft serve ice cream that is always open on the deck with the pools. We rode the Aquaduck and my son swam in the pools. The pools are very crowded and not worth getting into for myself and my husband, but our son enjoyed it. It stated to rain, so we went to our room, relaxed on the verandah and got ready for dinner. It was still early, so we did the Midship Detective Agency on our way to dinner. Our son loved it!

We had dinner at Animator's Palate. Crush talks to you like ithe attractions at Epcot. It was cute, but we were at a table that could just watch, not participate. The children at our table all loved Crush! It was also Pirate Night. The room steward left pirate bandannas in the room to wear. We bought our son a sword from the gift shop. Our son didn't want to participate until he saw the other kids. After dinner, we went to see Villains! It was a wonderful production. The show was funny and everyone enjoyed it. Then, we watched the pirate show on Deck 11 and the fireworks. The fireworks do not start until 10:30 PM. It was a nice display of fireworks. After the fireworks, there was a dance party. We stayed for a few minutes and danced and then headed off to bed.

On Saturday, we arrived at Castaway Cay. Disney's private island was a lot of fun! We ate at Cabanas and went to the island. We tossed a football on the beach for awhile. Then, we did the stingray adventure. I highly recommend feeding and swimming with the stingrays. It lasts about one hour and was educational and fun. For me, it was the highlight of the trip. We ate lunch on the island. It was good. The ribs are fall off the bone. Then, we rented bikes. It took about one hour to ride all around at your convenience. There are water stations along the way. It was raining at this point so we went back on the ship and let our son swim in the pool while we lounged on the deck chairs undercover.

We had dinner at Enchanted Garden. It was a beautiful restaurant. I loved my pork loin dish. After dinner, we changed to ride the aquaduck but it was not running due to technical difficulties. The movie WALLE was playing on the big screen so we watched that and then went to our room to catch up on all the football scores for the day! The next morning, we ate breakfast at Cabanas and walked off the ship around 8AM. Our luggage was in a color coded area and we found it quickly. It was an easy departure and customs only took a few minutes.

We did not use the kids camp. We walked through the camp on the 1st night and our son thought that it looked like fun. He even commented that he would like to go sometime. However, there is so much to do on the ship that we didn't have time to fit it in. The negatives about this ship are 1) the ship is crowded 2)the pools are small. However, we met people on the cruise who are avid cruisers and they thought that the Dream was less crowded than the Wonder. Overall, we had a great time and would definitely recommend this cruise.

Publication Date: 10/25/11