Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by Scotslizzy: One of the Best

One of the Best

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Have been back over a month now and thought it high time I put in my review.

Here goes ;

Solstice Med cruise 12 nights starting 5th Sept

All travel arrangements were made via Celebrity and although more expensive there is the comfort factor of Celebrity making sure you get to the ship and the coach waiting for you when you arrive.

Flew from Glasgow to Amsterdam then on to Barcelona and then the coach to pick us up. Absolutely no problems with this and luggage arrived the same time as we did.

We had booked a Celebrity suite but a couple of weeks before the cruise we had been upgraded to a Royal Suite and it was fab. Big lounge and dining area plus an additional guest bathroom which my sister commandeered and the best bathroom at sea we have had so far. Double sinks, walk in Shower and Jacuzzi bath.

The Balcony also had a Jacuzzi on it and this was put to really good use especially after a long day off the ship when we could just More relax with a glass of bubbly. Very nice indeed. We did not experience any overt noise from the resort deck apart from some music during the day which in no way spoiled our cruise or enjoyment of the balcony .

George was our butler and he was most courteous and professional in his manner. We did not ask too much of him only that we got those little fruit tartlets with afternoon tea (even left them on the days we were not in the cabin).He also arranged our speciality dining requests but other than that we did not have any other little jobs for him to do apart from a couple of early morning breakfasts in the suite.

Dining in general ranged from good to very good in the MDR although I did find the wine service a bit hit and miss as we all had the premium drinks package we had to flag down the waiter to get a refill. As we were on select dining we could not sort this out for the rest of cruise as we dined in different parts of the dining room .My one real complaint is the very poor cheeseboard in the evening (same stuff as you get in the buffet in the morning ) . I have suggested that they offer the cheeseboard that you can get in Murano for an additional supplement for those that wish to have this but still have the standard cheese plate for those that do not wish to select their cheese .I know that some people will not like this but if it means getting a better quality selection then so be it.

The speciality restaurants were as good as ever and I would always go back to Murano and Tuscan grille at the drop of a hat. We dined in Tuscan Grill when leaving Villefranche and because of the picture windows it was lovely to see all the twinkling lights (and thats before the wine had kicked in! ).

We ate breakfast in Blu as we were allowed this due to being in a suite . And by the way we had no difficulties in arranging this whatsoever . We did not dine in Blu in the evening as my sister is a very plain eater and the menu did not appeal to her. But we were asked if we wanted to dine in the evening by the head waiter so cannot understand why some people have had difficulties on this score.

Entertainment is I feel the one area that Celebrity needs to work on. Some of the shows in the theatre are dated and there was not one comedian on board for the cruise. The majority of the passengers were English speaking so I do not think this was anything to do with language barriers etc. Some of the other groups were fine but if you have been on a Celebrity cruise before you will get the feeling that you have seen them all before.

Premium drinks package worked really well for us. It was great not to have a bar bill at the end and as we enjoyed the Martini bar it was nice to try different drinks and if you did not like them well try something else then! Will definitely do this again on our next cruise.

The overall cruise was one of our better ones due to the company that we met and also the itinerary. Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Royal Suite Sky Deck (10)

Royal Suite was just the ticket and we enjoyed the jzacuzzi on the balcony mist days. Noise was not a problem for us although yu did hear the band playing in the afternoon but we enjoyed listenign ti it. Lots of storage so not problem on that score.