Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by BobD001: I guess you get what you pay for

BobD001
Member Since 2011

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

I guess you get what you pay for

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I would like to state before I get into my review that this was my first experience on a cruise. I think my expectations were a little too high on this one.
My trip started well; my wife and I had no trouble getting to the port of LA from LAX. We used a private transportation service to get picked up at the airport because I am not a fan of shuttles or taxis. We used this company 1800FLY1800 for my ride. I hate to say it, but the ride to the port was almost nicer than the cruise.
It didn't take long to get settled in on the ship after we got to the port. We got on board fairly quickly which was nice. The cabin was pretty good, lots of room and was ready to go when we got to it.
After we left port, my wife and I went to dinner. I had a lot of trouble understanding our waiter, but it happens. Unfortunately, there was no excuse for the food. It was bland and boring, obviously was prepacked frozen food. The after-dinner show was alright, not quite as fun as I was hoping More for.
This pretty much set the tone for the rest of the cruise. The food and the entertainment did not get any better. Everything was overpriced, especially the booze. I really noticed other faults on the ship after a couple days. Some of the hallways were dark and smelled weird.
The port was pretty fun, but honestly, I think I would have rather flown there and stayed at a nice hotel for a week.
I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to cruises. I will try a more expensive one next time for comparison. But then again, I might just be expecting too much. The price is relatively low. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>