Disney Dream Cruise Review by berniecruiser33: Disney Dream misses the mark for the childless 20s to 30s

berniecruiser33
Member Since 2011
1 Post

Compare Prices on Disney Dream Bahamas Cruises

Disney Dream misses the mark for the childless 20s to 30s

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I are annual passholders at Disney, so needless to say we are normally fans. As first time cruisers we were beyond excited for this trip that we had planned for over a year. People were surprised that we would take a Disney cruise when we are a very young couple without children. After watching videos and talking to Disney who assured us there were plenty of adult only activities as well as areas on board we decided to take the chance. Unfortunately, our experience did not live up to the hype. Categories and our thoughts on each are included below.

Embarkation:

Super easy and fast especially for first time cruisers like us. Kudos to Disney on this aspect.

Food:

Total let down here :0(. First of all, the food in the normal rotational dining rooms is STRANGE to say the least. There were several times we wanted to ask for a child's menu so that we could eat something normal. My husband asked once if he could have a specific ingredient More taken out of his dish and we were told that it was already pre-plated. For example, I ordered a crab cake appetizer one night (the most normal appetizer on the menu) and it was set over a carrot/golden raisin salad. Whatever happened to Cesar salad and a starch option? Our table mates also shared the same sentiment about the odd food. Cabanas, the casual buffet we frequented for most of our lunch/breakfast, faired better with our not so refined palates but still lacked significantly. Pretty much the same food was offered each day at both breakfast and dinner. On the sea day I was overly excited to see crab claws while in line until I sat down to eat them and realized they were served cold. YUCK! Adults who wanted to grab a late night snack better like pizza because that's all that was available after a specific time of night. Yes, there was an option of 24 hour room service but that basically only offered a few additional sandwich options. The lack of food at the rotational restaurants left us scrounging for pizza most nights.

The one exception to the bad food on the Dream was our night at Palo. The food was "fancy" and plated beautifully, yet it was still normal Italian fare. Everything was SENSATIONAL and we almost wished we had paid to eat there every night. Do not miss the quattro formaggi pizza or the chocolate lava cake!

Service:

Another high five to Disney here :0)! Rudy, our room host, was fabulous and always greeted us in the mornings or evenings with a smile on his face. We had our room cleaned twice a day which is a little overkill for us but it was still nice to come back to a new towel animal and a nice clean bathtub or made up bed. Rudy is a keeper! Additionally, our servers Maynor and Edwin made our otherwise unpleasant dining on the Dream enjoyable. They were attentive, funny, and willing to get us whatever we may need. The rest of the dream crew was equally as helpful and never hesitated to answer questions or take us where we needed to go when we asked directions.

Quiet Cove Pool:

Should be called quiet, boring,better get to early or forget getting a good lounge chair cove. There was only one out of the four days that I was able to find a lounge chair in the sun at the adults only pool. This I suspect is only because my husband and I returned from Castaway Cay early this day. There was absolutely no music or liveliness to this area whatsoever. There was a steel drum man that was very pleasant but seemed to be restricted to only playing slow, old songs on his drums. There were two decent size hot tubs in the adult area but this was not enough for the amount of adults whom were trying to use them. On any additional days that I wanted to lay out by the pool I was forced to go to the family pool (the sun deck above quiet cove was out of use due to wind). Disney could have made a much larger area for the adults and made it a point to get some fun activities going over there from time to time like I observed them doing at the family pool. Adults like to have fun too Disney!

Shows:

The shows were decent on the Dream and probably what you would expect from a Disney ship. Personally, I feel as if Villians Tonight should be there main hyped show instead of Believe. Believe was cheesy and uninteresting for even someone like me who normally enjoys the singing, happy, happy, shows.

Characters:

One piece of advice here. If you expect to get pictures with the characters in their sailor outfits or their evening attire, then you better also expect to wait an hour in line to do so. Way unorganized and annoying!

"Adult Entertainment" (or lack there of...):

My husband and I participated in a number of pre-dinner sports trivia games while on our cruise. They were extremely fun and enjoyable for us. Unfortunately, they only lasted about 15 to 20 minutes. The "dance" club evolution also put on some fun games like "match your mate" and karaoke where you got shots for singing. However, once again these games were VERY short lived and many could not be participated in by everyone. They always seemed in a rush to get on the "celebrity DJ Cide" for the dance club and we had no idea why. This is mostly because the music he played was HORRIBLE. No wonder there was barely anyone in the club at night and only about half the people actually danced. There was an adult group that may have been about 15 years older than us that mentioned to us in the hallways they had the same sentiment as us here. The DJ played mostly old 70's, 80's, and techno hits. I am all for playing all kinds of music but can we at least get some top 40 here and there?!? My husband requested a song, which the DJ said he would play, but after an hour of sitting waiting for it to come on we decided to leave. However, another couple asked for a very strange techno song and it was played right away. For the lack of people there were in the club he probably should have played all requests to keep the party jumping. Personally, we feel as if Disney should spend more time on the games and less time on the sucky dance parties. Furthermore, there are 50 million lounges on the Dream that NO ONE really goes to and are frankly very dull. The most frequented was the sports lounge where adults stayed to watch football and play the trivia. We were so disappointed in the lack of fun we were encouraged to have on the boat and we will probably try a more adult centered cruise like the princess next time.

Castaway Cay:

Very beautiful, especially Serenity Bay. However, I find it worrisome that Disney feels as if adults do not need lifeguards on their beach. What is to happen if someone passes out while out farther in the sea and no one notices them? The family beach had lifeguard towers in the water and Disney would be smart to avoid a lawsuit and do the same for the adult beach. Further, yes relaxation is GREAT but again, sometimes adults want to have some fun too! All of the volleyball courts, basketball goals, and other activities were held on the family beaches. Absolutely nothing was going on for the adults.

As you can probably tell, my husband and I will be trying a different cruise line next time. It seems as if Disney has some sort of idea that adults only want to use their vacation for rest and relaxation. Although this is partly true, we also like to get up and get moving too! It is unfair to expect couples without children to join in on the family activities and feel left out when they have to join in with these groups. There should be more adult only activities offered. In addition, they do not need to try so hard on the food. A simple choice of meat, salad, starch, and vegetables would have been just fine for us. The only area this cruise did not lack is in service. I wish we could take this crew and move them over to another ship :0)! Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Dream Standard Inside Stateroom Deck 9 8059

We were happy with the amount of space for an inside cabin. We had plenty of room in our closet and the bathroom was sufficient for our needs.