Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Rockknocker

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Rockknocker
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox
Member Name: Rockknocker
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 1C
See More About: Celebrity Equinox Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

First time cruisers - would we enjoy it
The cabin was more spacious than we had expected, which is not to say that we could both move hither and yon in front of the wardrobe. The shower was an awesome design; I could bend down to pick up the soap without unexpected encounters with the plumbing or door. The beds me with my wife's approval, and she is really difficult to please.

The Equinox is a stunner of a ship, both in size and in quality; impeccably clean; sumptuously outfitted. The broad range of choice of bars and restaurants provided a selection challenge. We requested a 10-person table; late sitting. All our table-mates were there each evening; no-one opted for the speciality restaurants at a $30 surcharge pp. On average we sat down at 08:45 and left at 11:00. What a splendid group of people and quality and entertaining serving staff. The food quality was exemplary. No wonder Celebrity ranks so highly in the dining rankings.

We had decided not to purchase a drinks package, and given that we were on-shore for lunch on all but 2 days, the decision was financially justified. It would probably have been different were we to have been on a trans-Atlantic crossing. That is not to say that drinks were cheap. On the contrary, but we persuaded ourselves to judge the cost from the point of view of a residing in a 5-star hotel. Still .... as I said, expensive.

The entertainment was better than we had expected, and I don't refer only to the shows. The lectures on Greek and Roman history were excellent. The cooking demonstrations were hugely entertaining. I burned 6GB on photos. We took dance classes, watched the glass working demonstrations, attended wine tastings, and marvelled at the decorations.

Value for money? Here we get to the crunch. For what we like, nature and culture, quality food and wine; a large breadth of experiences, we could probably have done better on land. But I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the luxury; the opportunity to meet many nationalities; and to be able to do so within a few tens of metres.

We did not take any of the offered tours. We started to think of ourselves as 'cheapies' and ended up changing that to 'savvies'. On many occasions we did practically the same as the land packages but for a fraction of the price, by taking public transport and finding our own way around.

Would I cruise again? Probably. But I would look for better value, possibly last-minute, opportunities. Would I cruise again with Celebrity. Like a shot if the price was right.

Publication Date: 10/24/11