Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by Andrew and Marea Foulis: An honest and forthright review

Andrew and Marea Foulis
0 Post

An honest and forthright review

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Our trip began full of promise,looking forward to a week of seeing new places from the comfort of a 4star ship.A deluxe cabin,good food and peaceful surroundings.We had been assured that although another of the Thomson line was tired and dated and due for refurbishment this one was deluxe in every way.
How WRONG could one travel agent be?
This ship is tired to the point of exhaustion in fact probably has terminal M.E.
Our Deluxe Cabin had net curtain on the window which was hanging off with not enough hooks to allow proper closing. The blind had wires hanging from it also not allowing it to remain in situ when down rendering it to be unusable.
The bedside drawers had facing missing and the drawers did not open. When on the last night we managed to open one it was stuffed with bed linen.There were two holes in the wall beside both beds.The fridge below the television was stuck in a hole below the TV looked ugly and untidy.
The bathroom was awful pink tiles, in More places surrounded by black moldy grout. Grout which looked as if someone had replaced it using a garden shovel or at best just threw it at the tiles from a great distance. A shower could also be described as a bath as the water was knee height after a 5 minute shower. In fairness we did ask for this to be fixed it was resolved to some degree the day we complained. This was followed by a call from reception asking if we were satisfied with the repair!The floor around the toilet was lifting and I injured my finger---not badly when in the bathroom following a shower when mopping water. Mopping water was a feature of showering as the bathroom resembled a swamp given the curtain failed to keep the water in and the hooks continually fell off the rail as there was no stop. The curtain was also awful sort of yellow, beige with a moldy black hem. The wash basin was badly chipped as was the vanity unit.The door facing into the bathroom was also badly chipped.
Food on board was mediocre to say the least. The hotel we stayed in the week before served as many people and managed a higher standard of both service and food An example of this from the ship is when asking for more toast at breakfast given the toast was on the table when we arrived and was stone cold I do not expect to questioned as to why I want more especially when there were 4 of us and only 2 pieces of toast!
We were not alone to note the change in crew attitude following all the clapping and cheering we were expected to take part in on the last night. Dinner interrupted by crew parading Baked Alaska then further delay while we clapped clapped and clapped to congratulate the crew on doing the job they are paid to do. I am more than able to thank those appropriately for a job well done and did so without clapping but with green folding stuff and thanks. Then in the evening more of the same when everybody and their uncle ascended the stage following the entertainment to yet more clapping cheering and thanks. I began to wonder if I had paid for a cruise on this beleaguered ferry ==== OH NO I MEAN SHIP.All in all we are very disappointed to say the least...If we had experienced this in a 4 start hotel we would have left immediately we were however stuck as neither of us has unfortunately mastered the art of walking on water.

Given our experience we would not recommend Thomson ever . I have photographs to back all and perhaps more than I have commented on here.No lasting evidence of the enforced clapping and crew back slapping however, just lasting memories of a cold dinner and a ringing in my ears. Less

Read more Thomson Celebration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Celebration Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Celebration 212

POOR=== TIRED====IN NEED OF REFURBISHMENT AS A MATTER OF URGENCY see above in datail

WE ENJOYED THIS DESTINATION VERY MUCH.

FACINATING GOING BACK