Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by Once A Nurse: NCL Dawn 9/30 - 10/7

NCL Dawn 9/30 - 10/7

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Boston

This was my 2nd NCL cruise and I traveled with my 16 year old grandson a cruise newbie. Things moved along smoothly from the beginning with a short cab ride from South Station and our luggage being quickly handled on arrival to the pier. We were guided to the elevator ( I have a walking disability) and on our way to check in.
We were escorted to the counter for Suite check in, then to the Lounge where we met Virginia our cosignerge and offered coffee and snacks while we waited for our escort to the Suite. After just a few minutes we were on our way to the suite having our first introduction to the "Washy - Washy" ladies as we boarded. The first glimpse of the suite was impressive - Large and airy with a wall floor to ceiling windows.
I immediately asked that the bed be separated into 2 but was told that bed did not divide but that they would make up the sofa bed in the evening. The NCL website specifically says that the Family Suite with Balcony has a queen size bed that More converts to two lower beds and when I booked I said I wanted the bed divided. I don't feel that paying suite prices one should have to sleep on a sofa bed - even though my grandson was the one who slept on it. It was uncomfortable even with extra pads added (and he never complains where he sleeps). This is the second time I've had a problem with 2 beds in a suite on NCL but the last was nicely resolved on the Dawn. After leaving our carry on in the suite, we were escorted to Cagney's for lunch -our favorite suite perk. By time we finished lunch and checked in at the Teen Club, our luggage was at the suite. My grandson was off to explore the ship while I began unpacking and met our Butler Gian who offered a quick intro to things around the suite and asked if there was anything I would be needing. Gian proved to be invaluable thru the cruise. As I unpacked I found some of the suites idiosyncrasies. This particular suite has an irregular shaped balcony but a larger sized living area, closets that can't hold hangers unless placed on an angle - certainly not enough closet space for the 4 people it is supposed to hold, one of the closet doors broken, a clothes line in the tub that was placed on the outer edge of the tub so wet items drip on the floor.
Dining on the Dawn was most enjoyable - of course Cagney's a fave for breakfast and lunch and Aqua our favorite DR also had a very nice meal in Le Bistro. My grandson enjoyed the buffet probably because he walked thru it so often on his way to the Teen Club. I have to say he certainly enjoyed the teen club - most days he was out of the suite by 11AM and didn't return til 1AM except to change in and out of his swim suit. He met lots of teens, I'd often meet them around the ship off on a scavenger hunt, out to a dress up dinner and show and one evening he planned a Pizza party for them in our suite - of course Gian our Butler helped.
Entertainment was plentiful and varied - be sure to see the Crew Show and Bollywood there was so much more than I could even get to see.
I almost forgot to mention our steward Micky - he kept our suite spotless and managed to get a 16 yo to smile each night with a different towel animal.
I certainly enjoy NCL Freestyle and even though I was often out and about by myself, I never felt alone. I met some great folks at the CC Meet and Greet and during the times I dined alone, I always managed to strike up a conversation with neighbors. I do wish NCL would provide some suites with beds that separate into 2 but it seems they are moving away from that concept. Since I often travel with a friend and we prefer suites, I may have to switch to another cruise line so as not to sleep on a sofa bed. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 12030

Suite 12030 great, quiet location easy access to everything - near pool. Suite is large with a rather small, irregular shaped Balcony. The closet is exceptionally small for a suite this size.

The Dockyard is easy to get around and a good starting point for exploring the rest of Bermuda. Bermudians are so friendly - it was great to spend several days.