Viking Neptune Cruise Review by batcave24

Cruise Date: June 2010
Embarkation: other
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Cabin Category: A
See More About: Viking Neptune Cruise Reviews | Cruise to Nowhere Cruise Reviews | Viking River Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Viking Neptune Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Viking Neptune Deck Plans
Neptune cruise wonderful CREW WAS THE BEST
Let me start with a critique. At the end of the cruise we all given a critique sheet for the cruise. Your categories range from "below expectations to above expectations". As many of us had cruised with Viking before, our expectations are very high and they were "MET" by the Viking crew of the Neptune, the condition of the ship, the food selection, the kindness of the tour director, the friendliness of the captain and hotel manager. All were well informed on the area and able to answer questions from where to buy to the history of the area. The cruise was unforgettable. The efforts made to add an additional tour to market with Margalee, the chef, was so appreciated and probably the best tour of the trip.

So when we filled out our forms we filled out all expectations were MET!!! We found out later that meant the cruise was "average" which it was not. I think you should take another look at the form and use a "Poor to excellent" or a numerical rating. We have come to expect great things from Viking and would like to rate accordingly. Thank you for giving me a forum to set the record straight.

The Neptune cruise was the best ever. Our luggage was lost and every effort was made by the tour director and ass't tour director to locate and get delivered to the ship. We were reunited with our luggage two days into the cruise and all was well. As we look back on the experience we realize that our frustration was not only appreciated, but SHARED by the tour staff and that seemed to make all OK. We were confident we would see the luggage soon and we did.

The cabin crew were friendly, efficient and because of their expertise and attention to detail we had absolutely no issues with our cabin. The only "surprises" were when we docked next to another ship in the middle of the night and our windows and curtains were open. Might want to give your guests a "heads up" on that one. :) Those lights flashing into the cabin in the middle of the night can be surprising not only to the guests, but also to the crew on the other ship. LOL

It was obvious that the captain and hotel manager worked very hard with the crew to keep morale high and everyone did seem to enjoy working on the ship. With any staff that works and lives as closely together as these crews, I'm sure there must be issues, but we never saw evidence of those issues. Margalee even offered to make some soup for my husband when he came down with a cold. The bar staff were efficient and entertaining and had a good attitude even the days after some late nights on board.

The tours were great, the bus drivers excellent and the guides well informed. What can I say, the whole experience was just the best. I would recommend this cruise to anyone.

The second half of the cruise, however, was very different. I don't even remember the name of the boat. But it was obvious there were some real problems on board with the management and crew. There was a tension on the ship that was very evident. The captain was very good and tried to be helpful, but I think may need some management classes. Not sure he "got" what was going on in the passenger areas. We just picked up a "vibe" that things were not good with the hotel management. I know you did not ask about this portion of the cruise, but thought I'd make my observations known.

Publication Date: 10/23/11