Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by IdRatherFlyThere: KISS Kruise--Awesome, Carnival Destiny--Just OK

IdRatherFlyThere
Member Since 2011
1 Post

KISS Kruise--Awesome, Carnival Destiny--Just OK

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Bahamas

This cruise was a total riot from start to finish. We started at the Marriott Biscayne Bay where most of the cruisers stayed before we left port on Thursday so the party started early...the band performed an acoustic sail away concert (no makeup)which was a perfect send off. Sixthman did a great job setting up activities throughout the 4 days from trivia parties, look alike and costume contests to photo sessions with the band (that was a little crazy though--very rushed).
I would compare the cruise to a Star Trek convention for KISS fans...people from all over the world and walks of life. The people watching was almost worth the price of admission!
The ship (Destiny) is getting old but was fine for this partying group. This was my first cruise on Carnival. I've taken many cruises though not recently so was somewhat surprised that the elaborate dining room and menu have been taken over by huge buffet lines---which was fine for this theme cruise--but the one night our group ate More in the dining room, the food was basically from the buffet except for a few options. I found the food overall to be bland, fatty meat, unexciting and the desserts weren't worth the calories. If you are on any kind of special diet (gluten-free or vegan), forget it. They offered sugar-free desserts for diabetics which i guess is nice.
We booked one shore excursion through Carnival to swim with the dolphins in Nassau. When we met that morning, we were given very little information from the people running the excursion as to what certain things on our wristbands meant, the walk to the boat shuttle was very long and difficult for flip flop wearers, and they walked you though ramshackle tent shops on the way. The people at the dolphin swim acted like our presence was an imposition but they kind of warmed up as the excursion proceeded.
We had 2 stops---Half Moon Cay which was very nice and great beach and Nassau which i had been to about 15 years ago and it's still more rundown than i remember.
I booked a 75 minute Top to Toe massage for the day at sea and it was nice. I also like to spa and on a 1-10 scale, this was probably a 4 but they did their best.
The best part---the concerts and being in such close confines with the band. The worst part--Nassau!!! Less

Read more Carnival Destiny cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Destiny Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Destiny Balcony Verandah 8327

Decent balcony, quiet, close to stairway to buffet. Do not use a roll away--have the couch made up instead!

Didn't have much time to enjoy but seemed to have lots of fun things to offer
Read 161 Miami Reviews

Dirty, rundown, ramshackle. I would avoid it altogether but this is where the theme cruise was going. I chose the cruise venue over the ports of call but may reconsider next time...
Read 2644 Nassau Reviews