Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by gptraveler

Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: gptraveler
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: 09
Cabin Number: 2042

Hurricane Irene week
My husband and I booked this cruise online and we included our 2 adult daughters. It had been a long while since we had vacationed as a family and a cruise seemed like a great adventure. Our daughters had never cruised and my husband and I only had one Princess cruise under our belts. The idea of cruising to Bermuda and being able to stay there for 3 whole days really made the difference. We left from Cape Liberty, Bayonne, NJ.

Our inside cabins on the lowest deck were small as expected so no disappointment there. They were forward in the ship and we rarely felt the motion. Our steward was excellent. The bathrooms did run into trouble and needed to be checked out by the plumbers. You knew something was up because of the smell throughout. It was taken care of though. I really wish there were more electrical outlets in the rooms. I had to request an extension cord for my CPAP machine and the guy on the phone wanted me to explain why I needed it. Hmmm. I guess he thought I might have some fancy electrical equipment like the much sought after irons.

The food in the buffet line was okay, nothing was ever great though. Parts of the line were open at different times of the day. Pasta seemed to be open the most. I am not a fan of sushi or Indian food and there was plenty of that. I expected a decent hot meal each evening but found it so-so.

There was a nice selection of ice cream but the line was always long because they only had one person working there.

The dining room service was good, not outstanding. I didn't sense a whole lot of passion for the work or any big effort to please except from the assistant waiters and the wine stewards. Those were the folks we had the most conversations with.

The pools were disappointing in that they were small and often overcrowded. All of the pools were salt water which was a change for us. The adults only pool was interesting and the only time we saw kids in it was in the evening when they took over the hot tubs with their massive families. There are some interesting therapy features of the adults only pool.

That pool area also had the best breakfast because it was so healthy with great yogurt parfaits. All in all the food was okay but not a huge priority for us. We were hoping for some good entertainment and beaches. We got both. I am always pleased with the shows offered on a cruise. The performers are passionate about their work and it shows. We also listened to retired NFL referee Bob McElwee speak several times that week. His audience grew and grew each day.

Another excellent program was an evening spent out on the front of the ship learning about celestial navigation. Our officer/presenter was difficult to understand due to a strong accent but the audience enjoyed it. The best part was when he called the bridge and they shut the lights off. How many places in this world can you experience a truly dark sky but the middle of the ocean? The stars were amazing. Another week long presenter was an astronomer and she joined us. I wish she had a mic on so everyone could have heard about the constellations she was sharing with her laser pointer.

Bermuda was great. We didn't get to see the really pink beaches, just making it as far as Horseshoe Bay and that sand is not pink.

What was best? Well the captain was the best. He and the owners were thinking of our safety and so they canceled the last day of our visit to Bermuda in order to get us back to Bayonne before Hurricane Irene came to town. We were sad. But then we got another report that the harbors were going to be closing early and we instead got an extra day on the ship. Now how often will you hear that?

So overall, we liked the Summit (especially our daughters who had never cruised) and if it can be renovated with more dining options, I would cruise her again. The itinerary to Bermuda is great and the Celebrity owners and crew did very well by us. I recommend this cruise.

Publication Date: 10/21/11
Read the Bermuda ports review by gptraveler
More Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews