Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Holmes Sweet Home: 1ST VISIT TO EUROPE AND ON CELEBRITY

Holmes Sweet Home
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

1ST VISIT TO EUROPE AND ON CELEBRITY

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

To start we were one of the few "younger in age only" people on the ship. Which is completely understandable since it was a 16 night cruise. We did understand that it was a older crowd before we booked. To put in in more prospective the average age on the ship was 72.
We started out at Southampton and we got to the port about 1pm and did not have any wait time and breezed on to the ship with no waiting. The rooms were not available until about 4pm but they had a wonderful buffet ready and we were able to get our 1st taste of what was going to be a trip full of great food! It also gave us time to explore the ship.
When we went to our room we were very happy with the size, we had a balcony suite. We had a huge closet and when I needed more hangers our room attendants jumped right on it and brought me about 24 additional hangers. We had plenty of storage under the bed for our luggage (which included 2 large cases, 2 bags and 1 carry on case. The bathroom was plenty big enough More and the shower was spacious... As a matter of fact as a joke one night our group of friends decided to see how many people could fit in the shower (clothes on of course :) and we fit 6 of us and have the video to prove it! We did have a chance to see our friends inside cabin and I would save the money and book a inside cabin instead of a balcony. There was no difference in the rooms with the exception of the balcony.
DINING EXPERIENCE: We had a table of 8 and when we showed up for dinner we were sitting with people our age... credit has to go to the dining staff for placing us together. We had a wonderful time every night at dinner and were the last table to leave each night. We had the most amazing waiter and asst. waiter and have to say they made our dinner's a highlight of every night. We had one night at one of the specialty restaurant's and were not impressed but the restaurant manager addressed our concerns and made us very happy with the end result.
Food was always 1st class and everything was cooked to perfection! We do not have one single complaint for the main dining room.
We ate also at the Ocean View Buffet at lunch and it was always wonderful and very clean.
The Mast Grill on deck 14 above the pool had the most amazing hamburgers and would definitely recommend them!
We did eat for lunch at the Bristo on 5 one time and they had amazing crapes and it was only a additional $5.00 to eat there.
All in all the food was 5 stars!
ENTERTAINMENT: The staff was amazing and they were great at their job, however I thought it lacked in things to do on sea days and found myself lounging by the pools most days although my husband was always finding something to do activity wise. We enjoyed only the production shows put on by the ship entertainers and singers. The rest of it could have been that the entertainment was more for the British people on the ship as their were only about 10 of us Americans on board. Some of our friends went to the shows at night and they always enjoyed it so I believe it was just that we are not used to the British way of things. To sum it up their could be a better mix of activities and not so many trivia and sport challenges and mix up the nightly entertainers.
PORTS: I enjoyed all ports with the exception of Palermo (Sicily) Italy. It was a dirty port and I couldn't wait to be back on the ship! We spent very little time off the boat that day and in talking to the other guests it was almost unanimous that it was a port that could be skipped without anyone being upset. I would not get off the ship if I ever went back.
I also had a problem with Venice, Italy... it was far to short of a port and by the time you took the shuttle boat to the port and then back again you had about 5 hours of time in Venice and it was not near enough time. You felt very rushed and it should have been to skip Palermo which was the day before and spend 2 days in Venice.
Dubrovnik, Croatia was my favorite port and it is the most beautiful place I had ever seen!!
SERVICE: 5**** all the way, we only ever saw a couple of grouchy crew members but 99% of them really looked and acted that they loved their job!
DISEMBARKATION: IT WAS A NIGHTMARE, the 5* service definitely ended the moment you left the ship.. It was a mess had no order and confused people everywhere you looked. They should for sure look into a different way to ease you back into regular living...:)
I loved our cruise and would definitely recommend Celebrity Eclipse to anyone any age.
P.S. They did say that a few cruises before they had 500 children on board so i think it depends on time of year you take children, but on the plus side the 4 kids on board had a awesome time as they were 4 to 5 ratio with the children's staff!!
JUST BOOK IT YOU WILL LOVE THIS SHIP!!! Less