Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by ElleBee

Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: IX
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
        3-6 2.0
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Seven days of Hell
Day One: Check-in was held up due to security breach. Hundreds of cruisers waiting in the rain until the doors re-opened. Not the fault of the ship except better accommodations could have been made for the elderly people in wheelchairs who were also waiting in the rain. Luggage drop-off: Suitcases were left in the rain. Once aboard, we ate at a great buffet. At 2PM our room was available. We were excited to get down there and rest. We were lying on the beds for about an hour. We left the room for a few hours. When we came back, the steward was changing our sheets. Apparently, he didn't clean the room after the last people left. Ugggg...we were disgusted. In the evening, the seas were rough. Hurricane force winds. Many people were vomiting. I found out two days later that the courtesy desk had anti-nausea meds. It would have been nice if they had been handing them out the first night. There was vomit by the elevators, in the public bathrooms. It was so gross.

Day two: Boat still rocking. Many people still sick. Found out that the steward was re-hanging the towels we left on the floor (to be laundered). Beds not made just sheets pulled up. We had to make wild guesses what the towel animals were. LOL.

Day three: Took our four year old to the kids club. She was too scared to even go back. My six year old loved it. We were suckered into paying $15 each for the East Meets West Indian lunch buffet. After being nauseous for two days the smell of curry didn't sit well. We had to literally go get our own water. When I asked for one of the deserts that was no longer on the buffet, I was met with a blank stare. The waiter never got back with us. I felt cheated that I didn't get to experience the desert on the buffet. Waste of $15 per person. Dinner service was awful. We were one of the first families in the restaurant. We were one of the last to leave. We missed the 7:30PM show. Met another couple who shared similar sentiments about the service. My children were offered lemonade on the kids menu. When my husband asked for lemonade too, he was told that it was only for children. I had something in my eye that night. Went to medics to get gauze and tape to keep my eye rested to heal. Four medics in there and not one even asked what was wrong.

Day four: Sheets not changed. Towels smelled icky. Left a pool towel on the floor. Steward took it but never returned a fresh one. Worried that we would be charged for a missing pool towel, my husband had to hunt down the steward to retrieve another. The steward was indifferent. Actually the entire boat staff was indifferent; even the officer we complained to.

Day five: Dinner service was great with service from Pretchel. She was great and courteous.

Day six: Dinner service improves toward the end of the cruise. Gotta earn those tips. I noticed an itchy bite on my thigh. Scratching busted the core. Looks like a standard spider bite. As of now (Tuesday) the bite area is very painful and had a red ring around the bite. Who knows where I got that?

The last port (Norwegian island) was a rocky industrial type area. I can't believe they even stopped at that desolate island while it was undergoing such a transformation. It hurt to walk along the beach. They did, however, start an artificial reef to snorkel over. Which was neat. When we boarded the boat again, we took a shower. The towels smelled like they have been sitting in a smoker. We went to the credit desk to take off some of the fees for the undeserving. After haggling over the service fees, we took off the housekeeping part of the fees. We decided to leave the $6 per day food service fees. Food service sucked at the restaurant but was excellent in the buffet area.

Day seven: Getting off the boat was a breeze. We were so happy to be on our way home. I think I am going to the DR for the spider bite (if that's what it is). I just felt icky on the boat the entire time. Even though we were hit with the sanitizing spray every time we entered the food areas, it still did not take away the initial shock of a dirty room when we arrived.

Would I sail Norwegian again? Hell No.

Additional comments: On this ship, the Parkwest Gallery was a scam. The lady kept calling numbers that didn't exist for the free art (two days she did this). Many people were looking around, wondering who the heck was 112. We attended that Parkwest Gallery on Carnival and enjoyed it.

This is a small ship. It sails slower than the big boats. This lessened our time in each port. I should have checked out the specs before booking.

Oh, and the entertainment was pretty decent. One guy kind of ruined some common songs. He sounded like he was singing through a balloon.

Publication Date: 10/20/11