Carnival Dream Cruise Review by ARNP cruising

Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Wonderful time on the DREAM!!!!
I relied so much on the comments of other member reviewers here, I promised myself I would do the same for future cruisers.

Yes, we were on the same ship that found out upon arriving back into port that someone gave birth on the ship & the newborn baby was discovered in the stateroom by a room steward- how awful! But.... even if the staff knew it they kept is so hush-hush.

My husband & I got away without the kids. We did have a minor glitch. We were greeted with industrial sized fan awaiting us in our extended balcony aft cabin. It turns out there was a water leak affecting ~2 feet of carpet right when you entered the room. The room steward was extremely good with it. He arranged to have the carpet cleaned when we were at port one day. We were offered to move to another balcony but we declined it due to the other location (off lido deck right by an elevator). We were compensated 30% room difference up until the offer (for total of 2 days). According to the purser's desk that is the most they could do on the ship & suggested that I contact guest services when we arrived home (which I did).

Aside from the water leak. We did enjoy the extra space in the cabin itself. The balcony was a bit bigger. There were 2 chairs & a deck lounger.

We also brought on board 2 packs of sodas & 2 bottles of wine (with opener). We purchased 2 bottles of liquor through bon voyage. This did end up saving us quite a bit of money!

We ended up having such a great time despite the first night was a bit rough (tropical moisture moving in with some high seas). The ship is set-up great. We never felt like the ship held as many passengers as it did. We did enjoy the Lani BBQ (deck 5) & salad bar (where the sushi is on deck 5). I was expecting a BBQ ribs/chicken type of meal. It ended up being marinated steak/chicken/pork in a soft shell wrap. The meat was very tasty! We actually ate there 5 out of the 7 days. My husband who usually is not a salad person LOVED it as well.

We did end up sitting by ourselves in the dining room- you miss the discussion with other cruisers. I think we may request to share a table next time. The food was good. We did splurge & go to the Chef's Palate (steak house) one night ---> awesome! We ordered the surf & turf, tuna tar-tar, beef capaciato (I had the lobster bisque) & the cheesecake was so big we didn't even finish one piece with sharing it. They let us take the remaining piece back to our room steward which was a treat for him!

We thoroughly loved the piano bar with DAVE!!! He was awesome. Again something different than what we would have done back home. We ended up having so much fun we returned every night!

Our ports:

Nassau- we chose not to get off of the ship. We've been here so many times in the past.

St. Thomas- we took a cab over to Meghan's Bay. $8 per person with $4 admission fee. Ended up costing us $20/person for the day. The beach is ok. We walked down to the end to get away from everyone else & their brother.

St. Maarten- we took other reviewer's advise & took the Jenty (their bus system). You catch it on back street- they have a sign in the front window indicating where it's going. Each segment costs $2. We first went to Marigot & I found my necklace jewels that I had previously bought (and were stolen from us in a recent break-in at our house). We then took another Jenty to Grand Case & looked at a beach resort some friends of our stay at. We made the mistake of taking a taxi from their to Maho Beach to walk the airplanes land. Go on you-tube & look for "St. Maarten airport." The taxi cost us $30. It was just like a jenty! Yes, we ended up taking a jenty back to Phillisburg (?) where they have all the shops. Oh! The walk is so short (~10minutes)- you do not need to ride the water ferry over!

I think that's about all!!! Enjoy your ship. would totally sail the dream in the future!

Publication Date: 10/20/11