Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by godspeed1975: Norwegian Cruise out of New York to Bermuda 10/2 to 10/9

godspeed1975
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Bermuda Cruises

Norwegian Cruise out of New York to Bermuda 10/2 to 10/9

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was a first time cruise on Norwegian cruise lines by both me and my husband. We found the trip pleasant and the staff that took care of us in the restaurants and our room steward polite and friendly. The ship was clean and neat.

We won't travel to Bermuda in October again. The weather was too cool, windy, rainy, and unpredictable. The food in the specialty restaurants was excellent. However, there is a surcharge for dining there. We paid a little over $50 for what they call a "soda card" which is a sticker, other wise the choices for something to drink were unappealing. The bottle water in our cabin was $5.50 a bottle. We did like the coffee pot, coffee bags, and creamers in the room and used them every morning to have a cup out on the balcony. Our cabin was comfortable. We had a nice size bathroom.

The free style dining was great! I hated the organized times for dining I experienced in the past. My husband and I were able to sit alone and have privacy. This More time of year for travel on the ship was nice because there weren't many kids. We found parents do not control their children around other travelers. We are tired of the display of poor parenting skills.

The major complaint I had was using the on board Spa. It is over priced, period. Plus, we each received and extra $20 surcharge for being put in the same room for a couple's massage. It wasn't worth it. We have had a couple massage many times before and this one was nothing special to spend over $350.00 for it. Plus, the massage therapist tried selling us expensive creams and lotions afterward. What a turn off. My suggestion is to use the spa for specials only, but be aware for any surcharges before you have the treatment. It is unacceptable to be hit with an extra cost after your treatment. I guess the staff thinks you will be too relaxed to argue about the bill.

Getting off the ship stinks no matter what cruise line we have traveled. This time however they made us wait across the street for pick up. A busy 6 lane New York City highway is not a safe place to cross. We were left to wait on the street which was unsafe.
I wish Norwegian would incorporate all the fees & surcharges into the price so you can enjoy your trip and truly travel "free style" as they advertise. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Gem

We always choose a cabin with a balcony. We need to smell fresh air. Plus, a quiet place to sit and view the ocean is a must. You can't bring you own iron. Thank goodness, our steward allowed free use of the one he supplied to use. We will bring our own bottled water next time because the bottled H2O in the room was $5.50 plus tax. Our room had a coffee pot, coffee bags, and creamers to use. We enjoyed a cup of coffee on the balcony every morning. We requested an egg crate on our bed because the mattress was uncomfortable. We had a couch in the cabin we never used and wish it was removed. It took up space. We did feel crowded in our so called mini suite. Plus, there was ONE eletrical outlet. This was nearly impossible to live with. We did like the wall safe and used it the entire trip. Our cabin was clean and well kept. Just wish we had more room.

We visited St. Georges, Bermuda on a tour. We wanted to go back during our stay because we only got an hour to spend there. We found a historic village with plenty of shops and restaurants. The church was beautiful. I picked up a beautiful bottle of perfume for me and my mother-in-law. My husband is a retired police officer and was able to visit the local police station. Tall ships, a public dunking, and a horse drawn carriage ride made for a wonderful visit. We will see it again!