Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by madthumper: Not Bad

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Not Bad

Sail Date: October 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My wife and I have always cruised alone but this cruise we chose to cruise with friends and their children. We chose the Sun strictly by price for the families.

Day 1: Embarkation day went pretty smooth considering it was a heavy rain fall all day. We were driven to the port by friends and we unloaded under the canopy to drop off the luggage. From the parking lot to getting on board the ship was approximately 45 minutes. Once on board the lines at the buffet were not long and finding a seat was no problem. Not that this was the cruise line's fault but we did not do too much on the first night considering we were in 60 knot winds and 25-30 foot seas. Walking around the ship was an adventure. Most people were either in their staterooms for the night or getting sick on deck.

The entertainment on the ship was average, the band on deck called Titanium I believe was too loud. The lead singer was screaming into the mike. Then on I believe was the last sea day they had a More female singer with a guitar and a sound box come out. I'm sure she's fine in a lounge singing but on the pool deck her style just seemed to not fit in.

The food was good on all levels but did have trouble with the service in the MDR. Dinner on the second night took over 2 hours and when the Maitre De came over to talk we told him that we missed the show and for the rest of the cruise he reserved us a waiter by the name of Dennis Pierre. Excellent waiter who has been with NCL for 15 years. We decided this time to rough it and stay in an inside room so we could be near our friends. We usually do balcony so we weren't expecting much but this inside cabin was great. The first time on a cruise that my wife had more storage space for her clothes then she knew what to do with. It was on the end of a row of cabins and had a 6 foot utility space on the other side so we had no neighbors to worry about making noise.
Overall I would give this cruise an above average, knowing it was not Disney or RCCL lines but worth the money we paid. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 8114

8114. Spacious room for two adults. End of a row of cabins and a 6 foot dead space between us and the next cabin's wall so there was absolutely no noise from neighbors. Alot of closet and drawer space in this cabin.

Been to Nassau so many times I wish cruise lines would find another stop. From the trashy street vendors who used to occupy the straw market down to the homeless people walking around Junkano beach Nassau is just not that appealing.
Read 2629 Nassau Reviews

Not a fan of San Juan. When we booked the cruise we were originally going to St Maarten but an itinerary change sent us to San Juan. We spent the day just shopping around Columbus Square. Our friends went to a beach over in new San Juan that a taxi driver took them too and they absolutely loved it, sorry I can't tell you the name because they can't remember the name.
Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

Love St Thomas. So many beaches and things to do. We tried Emerald beach and Morningstar beach. Both beaches have bars right on the beach so its easy access to get drinks or soda. Both beaches were clean and family friendly. Morningstar is closest to the sea so the waves are much rougher than at Emerald. I'd recommend either beach. There were 5 ships in St Thomas with one being the Oasis and neither beach was crowded.
Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews