Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by NinaBbic: 7 day Cruise Liberty of the Seas

7 day Cruise Liberty of the Seas

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

We have just returned from our family's first trip to Europe. We decided to cruise to get a taste of Europe and for the convenience of having one room for the entire trip . The trip was fabulous! The Liberty of the Seas is a good ship for families, groups and couples, though there were very few children on this cruise due to the time of year, most children are in school. We spent an extra day in Barcelona on our own which was great fun, we toured the city on a double deck-er bus then strolled Las Rambles. We boarded ship just after noon and were pleased to find our room ready, allowing us to unpack and get a snack before heading for the mandatory Muster Drill. Our Junior Suite with balcony was a good size for our family, I was pleased to have a closet to put suitcases away and hang clothes. There were ample cupboards and drawers as well. We ate in the main dining room each evening and tried room service, the open buffet and the dining room for breakfasts. The food and More menus were uninspired and average. By the end of the trip I didn't want to see another scrambled egg! Staff was helpful for the most part, with two exceptions, our cabin attendant--and the security detail. On two occasions we mistakenly went below to disembark, and were greeted quite curtly -- with a demand for ID, and excursion tickets before being given directions to the proper location for disembarking. Also, on re boarding, when a passenger set of an alarm, they were again treated a bit harshly, I thought, and as one who set off an alarm due to the trim on my outfit, I was a bit taken back.

The ports of call and excursions were very good, we chose a variety of tours, some half day, some exclusive. Guides were very knowledgeable most of the lunches served were exceptional and buses were quite comfortable and clean.

Our cabin attendant was quite poor - on the first night we requested coffee cups, and when none were provided, my husband made a cup in a glass then headed out to a restaurant to get a cup of coffee for me. Our daughter slept on the hide a bed, which was made up with one sheet and a dirty blanket the first night which prompted me to make a list for the next day. Three coffee cups were never provided, glasses were not replaced, the extra blanket we requested never materialized but three flat sheets did. Sadly, my daughter only got one towel animal while the little girl down the hall got one every night. The funniest/saddest moment with our cabin attendant was when we requested some more coffee creamer. He told us that the creamers were only for people in the bigger suites, not the Junior Suites.. I sort of laughed to myself, as we had had ample creamer until we got our one coffee cup, because additional cups were "on back order" according to our cabin attendant.

By contrast, we had such fun with our waiters each night. Our service was impeccable. Our beverage porter even procured Limoncello for our table when he discovered there was none on the ship. On the last day of the cruise, we had an opportunity to try out many of the ships amenities, including a skating rink, flow rider, rock wall, and swimming pools. Aside from the music being painfully loud around the pool area, the amenities were great.

We also took the towel folding class, (since our cabin attendant wasn't going to do it, we figured we would) the class was more of a demonstration, than a class. We watched staff fold various animals and were given a pamphlet from which to learn on our own. It was over in less than 20 minutes. We also tried a cup cake decorating class, which cost $`5, and lasted all of about 15 minutes. Our daughter is twelve and looked forward to visiting the game arcade and the "Living Room" for 12 to 17 year olds. Unfortunately, it was more for 17 year olds so we enjoyed ping pong and the arcade in the evenings.

One thing that cruisers often talk about is the "all inclusive" aspect of cruises. However this cruise seemed to up charge for many things. Staff would encourage the guests to try these items, stating that there would be a "small" extra charge...an unpleasant financial surprise might await at the end if one is not careful. Would I cruise again, yes. Would I like to try other cruise lines, yes, I now have the "travel bug" and look forward to visiting Spain, France and Italy on our own so we can experience them in more depth. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas Junior Suite Deck 7 9572

Junior Suite with Balcony. Excellent size, walk in closet with shelves and space to hang clothes, room for two large suitcases. Ample floor space and comfortable bathroom. Balcony seated four comfortably. Bed was very large and comfortable. Sofa bed very uncomfortable and short even for a smaller child. This was a non smoking room, (YAY!) but alas, our neighbors smoked on their balcony which made it unusable when they were out. Beautiful seated vanity and plenty of drawers. Four outlets; two American, two European style. We brought our own four plug stick so we could recharge more than one item at a time.

This was to be a half day tour, but at the last minute, it became a full day. We took a boat to Capri then a bus to Ana Capri. We were given two options, a chair lift ride to the top of the island or a tour of a museum. If one wanted to do both, there was an up charge for the additional ticket. We chose the chair lift ride which was breath taking! Next, we went to lunch at a local restaurant in Capri. It was not as good as the others we enjoyed in Rome and Florence. We then enjoyed a walking tour through gardens. While nice, it was not nearly as beautiful as other venues. After some time on our own, we took a cable car back to the marina, and then back to the ship just in time for dinner. The day was cool and partly cloudy, and I felt tired of being buffeted in crowds. We were definitely ready for a day off from tours. In fact, when an overweight man pushed his way into our already full cable car, leaving me next to no space to stand, I could only pray for a speedy decent, and couldn't wait to get back aboard the ship!
Read 27 Capri Reviews

We chose a Pisa and Florence Exclusive tour with lunch and it was again fabulous. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable but not particularly friendly. Florence is a bustling city with lots to see. We also enjoyed a fabulous lunch.

This was our second Exclusive tour with lunch. It was a full day visiting the coliseum and the Vatican. Lunch was superb and our guide truly loved Rome and was exceptionally knowledgable. Both venues were very busy. I can't imagine how it would be during high season. In St. Peters, we were litterally pushed through by the crouds.