Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by eastmountain: Ports were great but not the Sun

eastmountain
Member Since 2010
270 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Ports were great but not the Sun

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: Copenhagen

Baltic and Transatlantic Cruise Sept 9th - Oct 5th

We have been on many cruises and many cruise lines.

Went in a day early into Copenhagen. Stayed at Crown Plaza near the airport. Free shuttle, great hotel, excellent dinner, and wonderful "breakfast". Took free shuttle back to airport to pick up NCL's shuttle. Arrived right at noon and no crowds and fast checking.

NCL's Sun was renovated in January, I think. Our room sure did not look like it. Molding missing, furniture scuffed, closet door would not stay closed, bathroom floor cracks, entrance door does not close fully unless you force it closed, molding missing, etc. Tables and chairs though out the ship where chipped.

We ate the first week in the Seven Seas restaurant. The staff was far below in their service than any other cruise have been on. The food was served at room temperature. We complained to Arnold, the assistant matre de, the third night. He took our room number and said for us to try More the next night and it would be much better. The next night Arnold checked on us at least twice each time we were there. I would see him talk to our server each time. The service was so much better and we would get some of our food even warm. When we started the second cruise it went back to cold food and bad service again.

We decided to try Four Seasons and were so surprised to have outstanding service and hot food. Our server went to trouble to find out our names and greeted us by calling us by our first names. Stella was funny and her service was outstanding. I found the assistant matre de and told him what a pleasant experience it was to eat at the Four Seasons. The next night was just as good as the night before. Stella saw us across the room and still remembered our names. Do NOT eat at the Seven Seas we made the mistake and gave them another try and it was still BAD.

My husband's birthday was the 28 th and I made reservations and asked for Stella. There were 8 of us. Outstanding dinner, celebration and service. I felt like we were at a 5 star restaurant by the service Stella and her husband gave our table. She knows the proper etiquette who to be served first and how to serve. Perfect dinner for his birthday.

NCL has cut back on so many things that made our trips outstanding on past cruises. I felt like we got okay service, food tasted like cafeteria food, and not many activates. I only saw the cruise director at the shows or on TV. Movies were all very old and I had seen years ago.

The ports we saw were outstanding. We used SPB tours for 4 ports and 5 days. There were only 16 of us on the huge bus. Our guides were outstanding except in Helsinki - she must have been brand new as a guide. We saved over $1000 using SPB instead of booking through NCL. I highly recommend using them. Be ready to walk a lot!

Tips: Some got away with smuggling liquor on board but they do check bags very carefully. No laundry rooms. Bring Dawn and had wash the stains out. Bring plastic hangers and leave them for the next guest. If you want a bar of soap bring it; although one person asked and got one. If you find the Seven Seas as bad as we did, then try the Four Season. Wings in the sports bar are really good, There is a buffet in the very back of the ship, outside. This is not known by many and there was never a line. Arts and crafts got so much better at the end because they ordered good things to do. No Coke on board just Pepsi. Bring a night light to plug in the bathroom. Always check your room door to see if it is fully closed. I could see many not fully closed walking down the hall. Pull hard on them and then try to open them each time you leave your room. People got the upper repertory mess and I forgot to bring medicine to take so I would not get it. Also bring medicine for the stomach mess also. Sign up and go to the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. What fun and the gifts were great. Bring a gift light in weight and easy to pack. Less

Published 10/19/11

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Baltic Sea Cruises

Cabin review: IA0122 Mid-Ship Inside

Room 0122 had more room and storage than we have had before.

Read All Mid-Ship Inside (IA) Reviews >>
eastmountain
Member Since 2010
270 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X