Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by lagale

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: lagale
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: P2
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Rates 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

QM2 internet is a shame and fraud
I booked 4 first class rooms on the eastbound transatlantic crossing of the QM2 on Oct 7th.

What impressed me most was the absolute rudeness of the Purser's Desk staff. From day one we had to form lines, and the majority of the passengers on our trip were older and many not very mobile. There was a staff of two at the Purser's Desk to attend to lines of people and no effort was made to assist the infirm who were unable to stand and had to literally hold on to the posts along the edge of the wall. No effort either was made to move them to the front of the line by the staff or to increase the staff behind the desk.

My 90 year old handicapped mother also inadvertently pulled the red emergency cord while in the bathroom and when the Purser's Desk called she explained she pulled it in error. The woman started screaming she had to reset the button and the reset button was in the bedroom. My mother explained she was on the john, and would attend to it when she was finished and she hung up. The woman called again screaming she had to do it NOW. My mother told her to stop bothering her, she was on the john, and hung up, and she immediately called again. I would maybe never have believed someone could do such a thing but happened to walk in her room when the phone rang yet a 4th time, and I picked it up with this woman from the Pursers Desk screaming at my mother to DO IT NOW. I attended to it but frankly my mother almost had a heart attack over this.

The internet is one super large scam and one should be aware. The charge is exorbitant and it is extremely unreliable so many times you are paying large sums for service the ship does not make available. When you call to complain they tell you always to call back so you never get to actually speak with anyone about this or get a refund of the minutes billed not not used due to no service available. However the biggest scam is how they have set up the internet service. You have to choose a time allotment and you are billed lowest for the most time, so if you sign up for 450 minutes you are billed .35 cents, and individual minutes are billed at .75 cents. However you are never alerted when your time is up, and then automatically they convert your plan to individual minutes. This is a HUGE SCAM and it appears to me it is illegal and a fraud. For instance they are charging for a plan and time you never agreed to. The normal plan would be to send an alert at the end of the usage period saying your time was up and do you want to log out or sign up for a new plan, but they do not do this; they just bill you for at the individual rate.

When I saw my bill and finally got through to a manager the evening before embarkation, he was the rudest most unpleasant individual I have ever spoken with. I plan to dispute the charge with my credit card copany. It is amazing that what I paid for 4 first class rooms and they erroneously charge me $25 and the manager says "this is beyond my powers" or some inane comment to that effect. I had 5 charges on my account for internet, $167, $167, $89, $21, $4.76 and $13.50 and the ones I complained about were $21 and $4.76 and he says "this is beyond my powers". The fact is I never authorized them to charge the additional time and I refuse to pay for it.

Also you would think that internet service would be free, even Starbucks and the train stations and even most city parks have free internet, and with the rates they charge, they could provide it as well, but instead charge exorbitant rates and then scam you as well with the hidden unauthorized charges.

Needless to say, I will never travel CUNARD again. I have already booked on the Seabourn for Christmas.

Publication Date: 10/19/11