Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by bomag: Promised land from a promised cruise?

bomag
0 Post

Promised land from a promised cruise?

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Travel to the ship from the airport was (it has to be said) the worst we have ever experienced, I don't blame Thompson for this as they have limited resources at each port, but the coach had no air conditioning at 36 degrees was like sitting in a sauna, and was incapable of going over 40 mph, and to top it all was pulled over by a police check which took a further 40 minuets as the driver produced every document and argued with the authorities!
The Thompson boarding crew although friendly did not seem that interested and were more geared to get us processed as quickly as possible.

This is the third Thompson cruise we have been on but the first time on the Celebration, The ship although dated by today's standards was probably the best ship we have been on from this company, The cabin (outside) was just about big enough but was ok for this type of ship, The shower was probably the worst experience due the tiny nozzle and being un-detachable made things worse, I couldn't wait More to get home and experience a proper shower, (sorry Thompson bad move with that shower design, get them changed now!)

The room TV is placed so that only one person can watch from their bed, and it's an old 14 inch job that's ready for the tip, glad we don't watch TV too much (but I do like to watch the news every now and then)

This looks like it's a negative review but its not really, the entertainment was ok to good, fair amount of things to do after evening lunch, the restaurant food was nice (as expected on any cruise) and as normal the waiters are second to none.
Daytime entertainment was ok, but being used to another great, great ship (Ocean Village) they have a bit more to go.

Unfortunately we were spoilt on another ship (Ocean Village) which we judge others by, Thompson do try, and are much better than other much bigger ships we have been on, if they could just up their daytime entertainment a bit more (lets have a DJ on deck please), update their cabins with modern equipment and get their desk staff to try and show some interest, they could be the best.

I have found a cruise not so much about a flashy big ship, but about how they look after you and make you comfortable and at ease, in all, Thompson is cheap, so you only get what you pay for I suppose, so they do provide good value for money.
As long as you don't expect top quality and quite happy to do your own thing (no set meal times etc) you should have a good cruise experience.

Would I go back on this ship? Yes, I think I would! Less

Read more Thomson Celebration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Celebration Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Celebration 619

Bad shower desgin, Dated TV, Slightly cramped, pay for the safe!,very quiet location