MSC Poesia Cruise Review by SPY1956

Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: 2
See More About: MSC Poesia Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: MSC Poesia Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Poesia Deck Plans
Tranatlantic Cruising
We booked MSC cruise because of its itinerary. I was not expecting much from this cruise line due to its negative reviews.

We embarked at Kiel and the procedure was smooth and we were on board in 15 mins.

The ship is sparkling clean and beautiful. Our inside cabin is bigger than some of the other cruise ship. The set back was the pillows and wool blankets. Pillows were awful and felt lumpy. Blankets were woolly which I am allergic to.

We had perfect weather from Kiel to New York. There were about 800 Germans on board so pool deck were full as it was hot and sunny.

Entertainment were opera singing, acrobat, string quartet and dancing. We enjoyed the acrobatic show but not the singing and dancing.

Food got better as the cruise progress. I have no problem finding something to suit me as I prefer salad and fruits. There were lots of complaints about the plastic cup that they gave us at the cafe. All beverages tasted awful!! These were replaced with melamine cups on the second sector of the cruise.

We joined a shore excursion in Lisbon visiting the holy site of Fatima. This was quite good but the lunch included were tastless.

On the 4 sea days from Azore to Bermuda, there were not much entertainment at the pool deck beside a few childish games.

I miss the movie theatre on other ships as MSC do not provide recent release movies. The T.V. show is limited to CNN, ESPN and some old movies.

The only advantage of ESPN sport channel was able to watch AFL live games especially the final live game at 0130hr.

On the second sector from New York to Canada, the weather became cold and rainy. After leaving Charlottetown for Halifax, the weather became rough and the sea is choppy. The captain decided to bypass this port so we ended up with 3 sea days. Unfortunately, MSC is not generous to compensate us by giving us a free drink at the bar or a little souvenir.

My positive comment of the ship is the Medical Centre. I had a fall and grazed my shin. The nurse dressed the wound and gave me some dressing without any charges!!

My friend had an injection due to sea sickness and the bill was only 7 euro.

I don't think I will cruise with MSC again due to its limited entertainment.

I will be embarking on a 18 nights cruise on RCCL to Aust. and N.Zealand 2 weeks after disembarking from MSC. It will be interesting to compare these 2 cruise line.

Publication Date: 10/19/11