Oosterdam Cruise Review by SanDiegoCuiser: What a waste of money!

SanDiegoCuiser
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Oosterdam Mexican Riviera Cruises

What a waste of money!

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

First and foremost I will start off as - no question - I had fun since went with my friends. That was my objective - spend time with close friends, sun, read, and eat lots of good food.

I have been on the Mexican Rivera cruise on Carnival before. Due to hurricane we were diverted to Catalina (Come on! Catalina? Seriously? Who pays for a 7 day cruise to stop in Catalina?!) The weather may not be the cruise line's fault - but for the "Holland America brand" you would think they could have picked something else - like say - stay in Cabo for 2 days? We stopped in La Paz on the other day. La Paz is the cleanest city in Mexico I have ever seen. I will probably go back there for a week on my own someday. Cabo is excellent as always! My biggest complaint about cruising to Cabo - why does it always have to be the shortest port stay???

There were 6 of us all together in our group - all age ranges. I was VERY disapointed in this cruise and Holland America. This More brand isn't even remotely luxury as was expected. The food is horrible. I've sailed Carnival 3 times and their food was so much better in selections and options. And I believe people's first complaint about Carnival is the food - so that's how bad it is on this ship.

While we had a few bright spots (Maha in dining room was lovely, our room steward was excellent, and another waiter in the bar where we met every night made our nightly before dinner meet for drinks very nice) the rest of the service was lacking. Especially the lido deck. My first thought was no incentive for them to even clear plates and refill drinks. And how do you have a Taco special on the deck but out of tacos? Room service is very prompt and on top of it. But that's all I can say for that - zip selection - and zip taste.

My best friend (her first cruise) and I splurged and got a balcony on the Rotterdam deck. While the balcony was beautiful - you cannot help leaving with that bad taste in your mouth of such good money wasted for nothing. We could have just flown to Cabo for the week much cheaper and guaranteed good food.

On our way off we talked to two guys on our floor who we never met before who were complaining about what a waste of money this cruise is, now that makes us 6 plus two more. How many more? Oh and most of all - the shower is mostly warm, lukewarm and lots of intermitant cold water in between. Had to keep turning the shower off and let it run through the bath - I did not pay for 7 days of cold/lukewarm showers. Obviously the hot water doesn't reach that high up - or it's seriously out with everyone else showering for dinner.

This ship looks and acts old. It seems like a cookie cutter ship. Nothing special about it.

Important for non-smokers - not a lot of spots for smokers to go - and I certainly didn't appreciate having to have that smoke in my face all day long at the adult pool. No ventilation in the casino. You can't get away from it. On your balcony or on the deck. Sorry smokers - but all cruise ships need to adopt a smoke free environment. Clean air is first and foremost when sailing in the open waters! Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Oosterdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 7020

7020 - great view on balcony. Front of the ship. The side you want to be on for sure. I have no complaints about the cabin other then the cold/lukewarm shower.

Why does this always have to be the shortest stop????

Catalina? Seriously? We had a good time and rented a golf cart and zipped around and enjoyed the sights and seeing the houses on the islands. The shops are cute. All the people there are very friendly. But hey I can go to Catalina anytime I want. I didn't pay for a 7 day cruise to Catalina!

I liked La Paz. However, it is not a good cruise destination. This was an unscheduled stop due to weather (Puerto Vallerta sadly got nixed). The ship docks at such a remote out of way place that it takes at least 20-30 minutes to get to town. The cruise line bused everyone to town. Of course the lines were long so we skipped and got a cab. Food in La Paz is excellent. We ate lobster at the Bismark. Other then that - there is not a whole lot else to do there. The shops are all full of the typical tourist crap.
Read 23 La Paz Reviews