Carnival Victory Cruise Review by Byebyeohio

Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 6C
Value-for-Money 5+

GREAT PORTS, NICE SHIP, LOTS OF FUN
This was my 4th cruise with Carnival and my boyfriends 1st cruise. We are a couple in our late 30's who enjoy food, drinks and sun. I wasn't sure if I wanted to visit 5 ports in 6 days, but am so I happy that we did.

We flew into San Juan Saturday morning hoping to go to the rain forest, but I didn't book ahead of time and didn't realize it was over an hour away. That's okay, we had a great day regardless. We took a taxi to our hotel, La Concha(a Marriott hotel), very nice, it had a Miami vibe. The taxi ride was about $22. We read on Tripadvisor to request a high level room as the party goes all night. We got a 7th floor o/v room and loved it. We also read on tripadvisor that St. Germain was a great place to eat, we took a taxi into Old San Juan that night for dinner, taxi was about $18(taxis are expensive in San Juan and the drivers are crazy!) The food was good, not amazing as I had read, but very cute restaurant and good staff. Our waitress recommended a coffee shop, Caficultura, to try for after dinner drinks, it was very good and again, very cute, within walking distance. So good, we went the next day. We knew we could each take a bottle of wine or champagne in our carry-on onto the ship, so we purchased 2 bottles @ Walgreens a few blocks from our hotel( there are liquor stores or you can purchase in a shop after checking luggage before boarding ship, along w/soda and water). The next day after checking out we had lunch @ Ropa Vieja down the street from the hotel. A cuban restaurant with good food and good service(this was hard to come by in San Juan :( We had very slow and rude service for the most part everywhere and my boyfriend is Puerto Rican/Cuban.

Anyway, we got checked onto the ship around 4:30(20 mins. to do everything, I think you can check in around 12 if you want). We wanted to see some more of Old San Juan so we got back off for a couple hours. We arrived in our room around 6:30, unpacked our luggage, put our wine on ice, and headed to the MDR for dinner, this was the 1st time I've ordered the melting chocolate cake! OMG, it's amazing! We drank some wine in our room as the ship set sail and gambled the rest of the night, we lost our winnings from gambling in San Juan, but it was fun! We met Yusuf(cocktail server) and Maria(activity staff) that night, they took care of us the whole trip.

*Things to remember before traveling on this cruise: travel the day before as your flight may be delayed and you may miss the departure, and Old San Juan is beautiful. Your passport is highly recommended. A 12 foot extension cord for the room(there's only a couple of outlets). And bring cash for all the islands such as 20's, 10's, 5's and 1's(leave big bills in the safe).

Publication Date: 10/16/11