Ventura Cruise Review by Goodrum: Venturalation

Venturalation

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

Having sailed on the old Adonia which was wonderful and Arcadia in the carribean i was looking forward to our 3rd cruise with P&O on Ventura, we sailed from Southampton and after arriving at the new terminal which was very busy, we waited about 20 mins before being called through security, not too bad i thought. We had a balcony for the first time which was wonderful and all was good and clean accept there was some drink staines on the valance around the bed, so i assume these are not changed every cruise? The food was good and so was the service from the P&O staff. I didnot like the some of the layout on Ventura there is no crows nest like the other ships we have been on, just a wasted shaded area for relaxing that nobody used and around the pool area people are squashed together like sardines.
I used the spa once for reflexology a cost of 66, never again what a waste on money and painful and not at all relaxing. On the second week of the cruise i was ill, came down with a bad More chest infection and was coughing really badly and i know i was not the only one, thats the trouble with air conditioning bugs get passed on quickly.
I would like to be able to say i really enjoyed this cruise but i didnot, i wont blame Ventura for my illness but i got it from somewhere and it did spoil my holiday. I think i will go on Arcadia the next time. Less

Read more Ventura cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ventura Review >>

Cabin review: Ventura Outside Twin with Balcony and Shower A Deck A534

Ventura AJ balcony was a good size, plenty of hanging wardrobe space and open i thought this was a better idea. Clean white soft towels every day, corridor and cabin quiet, maybe a more comfortable chair in the cabin would be nice, possible two! i don't like lying on the bed when in the cabin, that's for sleeping. The only thing i was not happy with and did not notice it straight away was the dirty valance on our bed, looked like spills of drink from previous guests.

Our second visit to Barcelona, we went on a walking tour which included the famous cathedral that is still being built, our tour guide whizzed us around and then took us inside for a brief visit and then whizzed us along to the famous Barcelona market where she left us to wonder alone for one hour before going back to the ship, rather rushed i thought. On our first cruise we went to Barcelona stadium which think was a much better trip.

I liked Cannes a very pretty town with all the famous hotels where the rich and famous come and visit, we did not book a trip with the ship this time but instead got the tender ashore and went on one of the little trains, wore head sets and was taken on 45 min trip of Cannes for 10 euro each, we then had a stroll around the lovely streets before going back to the ship for lunch.
Read 178 Cannes Reviews

On this trip we went to Tuscany for the day, we visited two lovely wall towns with our very friendly tour guide, we stopped and coffee at little cafe. half way through the day we were taken to a Tuscan farmhouse for lunch with wine, this was really lovely and we both enjoyed this trip immensely, i would love to visit Tuscany again.

I enjoyed Lisbon and the Port , the ship was moored beside the famous Lisbon bridge which we could see from our balcony, we went on a walking tour with a guide for half a day.
Read 281 Lisbon Reviews

The ship moored in the harbour quite a distance from the city, Ventura did put on free curtesy bus to the centre of Palma, this was very good as we did not go on a tour, we decided to go it alone and visit the Cathedral and walk the many streets with artist's and human statues, plenty to look at that's all i will say.

This was the best trip of all for me and being my first visit to Rome i was taken aback by the wonderful Roman architecture and the ruins of the Colosseum they are vast, but the Vatican was just wonderful to see. Our guide took us around the main site and we were then left to roam alone and after lunch we did just that and met our coach at 4pm to returned to the ship, a wonderful day.