Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by luv2cruzfrmtx

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by luv2cruzfrmtx
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Triumph
Member Name: luv2cruzfrmtx
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 8D
Shore Excursions 5+

Triumph comes to Galveston
We were on the Triumph Oct 6-10 for her first voyage out of Galveston. Our group was all ladies...leaving the men at home. We were about half with multiple cruises and half newbies. We all had an excellent time. For those of use who had cruised before, we had all been on Carnival ships at least once in the past.

Parking: we used EZ Cruise Parking and the service was awsome...probably because the Triumph was the only ship in port. The porters removed our bags from our vehicles and put them directly on the shuttle and we got on and headed to the ship. No waiting!!!!

Embarkation was the worst I've ever experienced. Getting thru security was a breeze but according to an announcement that Carnival kept repeating...the terminal computers would not sync with the ships computers so no one could be checked in. We stood in the snake line AT LEAST an hour and a half before the computers were fixed and the line could begin moving. We arrived at the terminal about noon and it was after 2 before we got on the ship. This delay with the computers caused the ship to be late moving. I don't really know what time we left but, it WAS before dark.

Cabins: I was in 8285 on the Veranda deck. We had me, my sister and a friend in the cabin. It was a standard cabin with balcony. It was perfect for us. We weren't in there very much. Our steward Nur, kept it clean and we always had ice. No complaints there and completely what we expected. One of our group had a suite 7278 and it was nice. My next cruise, I'll definetly pay for the upgrade. I loved the dressing area and bath tub she had and the balcony was larger.

There were complaints on the ship that some cabins had electrical issues with sockets not working and hair dryers and tv's not working. Some phones didn't work. Another in our group had 8289 and her phone never worked. 7278 had issues with their sockets the enitre trip and their tv never worked, probably because the sockets were out. Out of these three cabins...we had no lights on our balconies that worked. Not really a big deal because we like looking at the stars at night anyway.

Food: about what I've come to expect with Carnival. Nothing to write home about but we didn't starve by any means. The food just needs more seasoning. Now I have read that the crab cakes are nothing special but we ALL loved them...even ordering seconds. The new menu wasn't bad. It was nice to have additional choices other than the specials of the night. We did anytime dining and would do it agian. 1 night we waited about 15 minutes and after that, no wait at all. They gave us a beeper to carry until our tables were ready. That was nice because then we could wander around while we waited. The service in the dining room was fantastic and we had no complaints. Thats pretty good for the number of women in our group!!!

I'm sorry to say...I didn't go to any of the shows or games. I was really tired and slept a lot on this trip. BUT, I did go to the piano bar and see Ron Pass on the last night. HE IS AMAZING! He really knows how to work a crowd to keep everyone entertained. Several of our ladies saw him every night and really enjoyed him. Several saw the commedians and really liked them. I went to one show with Cee Jay Brown. I guess I was just a little tired because I didn't laugh much. According to several in our group...TEX the CD is fantastic.

About the ship: she just came out of dry dock. One of our ladies had been on her last year. She said that there is all new signage in all the food areas of the Lido.

According to Nur, our steward. The entire ship was painted, inside and out. New carpet laid in most of the public areas.

We had new tile in our bathroom. The tile was pretty BUT I do wish Carnival would change the color schemes in the rooms and bathrooms. The colors ALWAYS make my skin look reddish and it's really hard to do my make up.

There are new pool tables in the casino by the bar. I never saw anyone playing pool and in fact, they never took the plastic wrap off of them. The tables come wrapped in plastic to protect the felt during shipping and assembly.

The hot tubs on the Lido deck by the buffet and bar never were opened on this trip. I don't really know what that was about.

I thought the Triumph was beautiful and clean. I did not notice any worn or ignored areas. The only thing that could have been improved is that the decking on the Lido deck outside needs to be varnished. It just looked dry and old.

I think that maybe the ship has some stabilizer issues. This was the rockiest ship I have ever been on. She rocked side to side and aft to forward. It was pretty hard walking around. This lasted the entire trip.

Excursions!!! Three of us, me included, did the AMAZING RACE COZUMEL. It was amazing. We had a wonderful time. I'm 50, and the other 2 are 47 and 49. We completed it in 1 hour 36 minutes. We are all smokers and it was strenous. It's 3 1/2 miles of excercise. We were told at the award ceremony that it usually takes at least 2 hours to complete. We would have finished much sooner but we got hung up for about 30 minutes on a clue that really stumped us. I would do it again in a heart beat. 2 of our group went Parasailing and enjoyed it a lot. 2 others went on the speed boats to Isla Passion and really enjoyed that. The rest went shopping.

Debarkation: We all did self disembarkation and with passports it went smoothly. The few that had birth certificates took much longer. Get those passports!!!!

All in all...we had no complaints as a group. We went to get away from the men and laugh and have fun. That was accomplished in a big way. Anytime you can please a group of women who age in range from 27 to 53 with no complaints, I'd call that a success. Triumph did a good job.

Publication Date: 10/16/11