Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by cfs2000: Civitavecchia warning

Civitavecchia warning

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

I cruise solo and take typically 5 or 6 cruises a year, most often on Royal Caribbean. I choose my cruises based on destination and to some extent cost.
My recent cruise on Mariner was chosen because I like Rhodes as a port and had not been to Istanbul before, combined with a single supplement of only 50%.
Great cruise, as usual; missed lobster, but I understand the cruise lines are all cutting corners on cost. Weather in the eastern Med was perfect as usual, and company at my dining table was pleasant, being from a number of interesting and different backgrounds. When travelling solo it is good to choose a large table.
My main purpose of writing this review, however, is to create a warning. I used RCI's excursion booking to travel at the end of my cruise to FCO Rome airport. ($155, including a tour of Vatican City and going into the Colluseum)
During the tour my suitcase was stored in the tour bus. Notwithstanding a lock on the suitcase, it was broken into and More several hundred euros worth of my belongings stolen. Since I personally carried the suitcase off the ship, there is no possibility of anyone other than the bus driver or accomplice did the theft. The lock was broken and jammed shut again with some card. I only discovered the theft in the airport during my 3 hour wait before I could check in for the plane, during which time the suitcase was not left unwatched.
A sad ending, but warm memories from yet another excellent RCCL cruise. Less

Published 10/16/11

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Cabin review: N8681 Interior Stateroom

8681 was fine, exactly as expected.

Read All Interior Stateroom (N) Reviews >>

An overnight in Istanbul was great. Traffic is bad.
Read 438 Istanbul Reviews

Ephesus is worth visiting
Read 610 Kusadasi Reviews

There always good shopping for leather goods and artwork.
Read 311 Rhodes Reviews

Onboarding Experience
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X