Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by cfs2000

Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: N
See More About: Mariner of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Rates 5+

Civitavecchia warning
I cruise solo and take typically 5 or 6 cruises a year, most often on Royal Caribbean. I choose my cruises based on destination and to some extent cost.

My recent cruise on Mariner was chosen because I like Rhodes as a port and had not been to Istanbul before, combined with a single supplement of only 50%.

Great cruise, as usual; missed lobster, but I understand the cruise lines are all cutting corners on cost. Weather in the eastern Med was perfect as usual, and company at my dining table was pleasant, being from a number of interesting and different backgrounds. When travelling solo it is good to choose a large table.

My main purpose of writing this review, however, is to create a warning. I used RCI's excursion booking to travel at the end of my cruise to FCO Rome airport. ($155, including a tour of Vatican City and going into the Colluseum)

During the tour my suitcase was stored in the tour bus. Notwithstanding a lock on the suitcase, it was broken into and several hundred euros worth of my belongings stolen. Since I personally carried the suitcase off the ship, there is no possibility of anyone other than the bus driver or accomplice did the theft. The lock was broken and jammed shut again with some card. I only discovered the theft in the airport during my 3 hour wait before I could check in for the plane, during which time the suitcase was not left unwatched.

A sad ending, but warm memories from yet another excellent RCCL cruise.

Publication Date: 10/16/11