Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by MobilePC: 1st time cruisers - New England/Canada on Princess

MobilePC
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Canada & New England Cruises

1st time cruisers - New England/Canada on Princess

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

First let me say that I was more than a bit concerned after reading some reviews of the New England cruise on the Caribbean Princess. I told myself that the majority of people that took the time to write a review probably did so because they were upset about something. I tried to ignore the reviews from those who felt they weren't treated with the elite status they thought they'd earned, those who disliked a port for whatever reason(Newport - nothing to do for kids? - are you kidding me?), and those whose closed minds should have stayed in England and avoided "us yanks" altogether. Some other concerns before boarding were:
- Embarking/disembarking lines - Too easy on in 20 minutes off in much less
- Kids overrunning adult only areas - I never saw one instance of this.
- Food being horrible - I loved the food! Dining rooms, Buffets, everywhere
- Too many New Yorkers - They comprised the majority, yes - Every one having a good time, non-aggressive, and More fun.
- Lines everywhere - We waited 5 minutes in the coffee line each day. In the ports where tenders were required to go to shore - 5 minutes was the longest, more times than not there was NO wait.
On one "formal night" we might have waited 10 minutes for a seat with our "anytime dining"
- Bad attitudes from the crew:
. Without exception, the crew was friendly and eager to help with anything they could. Our steward was incredible - taking care of everything we asked of her and volunteering many things never occurred to us. It seemed like she was always within sight when we entered the corridor. Not once did we ever have to call for anything - she was always "magically there".
One day at the international coffee shop, the passenger in front of me was calculating the tip to tip the guy on a $30.00 coffee card - the Crew member says "don't worry about tipping us" we just want to insure you're having a great time. I was flabbergasted (yes you are billed daily for gratuities, but still I spent 22 years in the restaurant business - you just don't see such a thing)
The maitre d in the Island dining room was extraordinary. On the second day he had us (party of 4) all figured out. It was like we were his only customers and the one day we came in early to eat he mentioned "oh, you thought you might confuse me"? Just outstanding service.
I'm very happy to report that my concerns were dismissed within hours of going aboard. My experience on this cruise was absolutely wonderful. Perhaps it is to my advantage to be a first time cruiser, but I absolutely recommend Princess Cruises, the Caribbean princess and the New England/Canada cruise. Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Dolphin c254

The cabin was much larger than I expected. We had a very large deck that I thought would be my "sanctuary from the crowds" if needed. It turns out a deck 1/2 that size would have been great. Some reviews complained about the size of the shower - I'm 6'2" and 230 LBS - I thought it was fine. Ask for a mattress "topper" to help with the metal that runs down the center of the bed (2 pushed together to make 1 I'm guessing) Air conditioning seemed a bit inadequate but when the sliding glass door is open, you can open the cabin door and blow out all of the air in the cabin in about 3 seconds

Stunning beauty. We took Oli's trolley to arcadia park, which was a great tour. Found a place to eat a whole lobster for lunch.

Rode the duck - Took a narrated walking tour of the freedom trail. The guide was fantastic - I wish I had his name as he turned out to be one of the highlights of the whole trip - Hazzaa. Initially I thought seeing Boston would not be all that impressive (if you've seen one big city...) but that was far from the reality of seeing the balcony that the declaration of independence was first read from, the gravestones of so many of our founders, and sitting in the bar that hatched the plans for American independence. Very humbling.
Read 216 Boston Reviews

(5.5)
Beautiful place, We took a tour with Greatearthexpeditions.com that was wonderful - off the beaten path we walked to beaches where there were no other people. In the distance we could see Peggy's Cove full of tour buses. They timed out arrival at the lighthouse after everyone else was gone.
Read 338 Halifax Reviews

(5.5)
We hopped on a city bus and toured the Breakers mansion - Again - I thought that I had no need to tour such a place, and afterwards was very glad that we did. Flo's clamshack - go there - eat clams - become happy
Read 121 Newport Reviews

Here we took a private tour from a cab company - sorry I don't remember who. This was great as our party of 4 had full control of our itenary. We got out of town and spent over an hour walking a beach with no other people on it. And saw all the sights while avoiding the tour buses - beautiful, unspoiled landscape