Veendam Cruise Review by Vinj1661

Veendam
Veendam
Member Name: Vinj1661
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: L
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
MS Veendam
Upon embarkation of the MS Veendam we realized early that this isn't Royal Caribbean or Carnival Cruises. It was evident that this was going to be an older crowd and we were a little scared at first. However, we had come for a little time away from the kids and some peace and quiet was welcome.

Our stateroom was very big and spacious. We had plenty of room for our clothes, suitcases and toiletries. This is the biggest cabin I have ever cruised in. The bed was comfortable and our steward was welcoming and very attentive through the whole cruise. One complaint about the room was that it was over the engines and if your a light sleeper plan on being woke up to loud vibrating noises at sea. I mean LOUD!

The food on board I thought to be some of the best I've had cruising. Personally I rate Holland first, Carnival second and Royal Caribbean third. We had two formal nights and lobster was served at one. Overall I was very happy with all the food. We did eat at the Pinnacle Grill one night. I suggest you order a steak as most the other things you can get in regular dining. My husbands Porterhouse was huge and he was very pleased. All service in all food areas was wonderful.

The entertainment left a bit to be desired. We made fast friends with some older couples and even they were complaining. They were in their late 60's and 70's and even felt the entertainment was OLD! I can't speak for every show. I am not saying it was all bad just geared to a older crowd.

Bermuda was gorgeous. The people were friendly and helpful. We did not stop in ST. Georges due to weather but got a free bus or ferry pass to go over there. We used it to ferry over and bus back. The ferry is faster but the bus ride is scenic and enjoyable as long as you get a seat. Tobacco Bay was very quaint and had some nice snorkeling. We had some fish and chips and they were wonderful. We walked everywhere in St. Georges but it required a lot of steep hills to Tobacco Bay. I would recommend a cab for anyone with troubles walking.

We also spent a day at the South Beaches. We started at Horseshoe Bay and walked all along the path to all the little private en coves. It was gorgeous pink sand beaches with large black rocks and the bluest of waters. The snorkeling was impossible as the winds were high and the waves and undertow were as well.

Of course you have to do some shopping on Hamilton's front street. Duck into the side streets as well. Bermuda is not cheap but we managed to get everyone a little something.

Overall, our cruise was a lot of fun. We did open dining and then made reservations once on board for the whole week. That way we sat with different people all week and made many friends. You can request to dine alone as well. I recommend reservations for all your dining right away. All the restaurants that take reservations fill up early on in the cruise.

You will not get off in Bermuda and find people bothering you for this excursion or that excursion. The people there don't bother you at all so do your homework on what you would like to accomplish while there so you don't waste precious cruise time trying to figure it out.

Publication Date: 10/15/11