Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by JohnSRoach: Excellent

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Bermuda Cruises

Excellent

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was a lovely cruise from NYC to Bermuda.

My tips are:
Not every extra fee restaurant was better than the free dining options but at the same time I was not ONCE disappointed or regretful I spent the extra couple of bucks. Well worth the money was Cagney's Steak House, Sushi, the French place.

Check the wine list then decide whether or not to bring your own at a $15 per bottle fee. Example...This cruise had Paraduxx for $96. I can buy Paraduxx for $40 + $15 to bring it on the ship for a total of $55 AKA a savings of $41. Don't be enticed by a "free" bottle as some reward unless you know what it is. Friends had a free bottle for booking with some agency and the free bottle was straight up gross.

If you're going to get a balcony you can take pieces from the sofa that rolls out into a bed and make a nest outside. HOWEVER - be aware they spray down the windows when docked and if your neighbor spill something next door your nest might get wet More too.

See the Man from Mars act - he's hot and his lady assistant is hot too. And they do all sorts of flexible sexy maneuvers that would be cool even if they were not hot.

The drink is always better when you tell the bartender what kind of alcohol you want in it and "house" won't get you the best drink.

Spend a minute cleaning your windows or ask some one to do it for you on the first day. When they hose them down they don't dry them so you get water spots and it can be distracting.

Overall, I loved my vacation on the Gem. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Gem 10030

If you're going to get a balcony you can take pieces from the sofa that rolls out into a bed and make a nest outside. HOWEVER - be aware they spray down the windows when docked and if your neighbor spill something next door your nest might get wet too. Also be aware there may be a person in the maintenance rover that runs along the ship. If you're shy you may want to close the drapes before getting naked in your room - of if your like me you'll wait until you hear the guy outside and throw it open. Luckily the people in the maintenance rover are strapped right too it so they don't fall too far. If you can reach behind the lowest drawer in the closet unit sometimes you can find treasure from the previous guests - or as in my case a pair of granny panties and a lady's shirt. We had a bonus sock under our bed too and we were not billed for any of those items - BONUS!

If you're carrying on your luggage and you're bringing your own wine they will see that when they scan it for security. They will tell you to go to the little table off to the right to pay your corkage fee. After that nobody checks. Here's the tip: you MAY be able to get away with not walking over to the table to declare your wine and thus skip paying your fee. Nobody walked us to the table, nobody even watched anything we did once we were through security. I'm honest so I'm not disappointed I paid the fee but one may be able to get away with skipping it especially if things are busy up there. If you can keep your luggage with you...its so much easier getting off the ship with everything you came with.