Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by mountaincat: Sailing on a larger ship doesn't mean be crowded on board

mountaincat
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Sailing on a larger ship doesn't mean be crowded on board

Sail Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I drove down from TN Saturday morning and stayed with family in Orlando for the night. The drive and arrival to Port Canaveral was a breeze and so was unloading our luggage at the pier. Much better and less crowded then Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. This was our first cruise as Diamond members and we enjoyed the advantage of check in. We arrived at the pier at about 1:10 and made it to our cabin by 1:30 and that included me stopping to get my beverage card. We then made our way to the Windjammer for lunch and breezed thru the food line.

We had a promenade cabin this time that looked out at the jewelry store, my favorite type of store. The cabin was nice size and I enjoyed looking out the window. We never had a problem with noise. The one night they held the parade late, we watched it from our room. The funniest view out our window was the night they had the watch sets on sale on the promenade deck,that was one of the only times I could say I would have felt crowded More if I was down there. It reminded me of the day after Thanksgiving sales in the stores.

We had the late night seating for dinner and enjoyed the other two couples at our table. We had a table for 8 but it wound up just being the 6 of us the entire cruise. The dining room was not crowded around us and that could have to do with having 3 levels for the dining and the Windjammer for dinner along with their specialty dining. We found the food on this cruise much better then we had back in February on board Adventure of Seas. I go for the steaks and my husband usually goes for the fish. We did dine at Chops Grille one night and found it to be very good. Lunch in the Windjammer tended to be pretty much the same each day and since they have different food stations we didn't find a line longer than 5 or 6 people in front of us on any of the days we ate there for breakfast or lunch. We did go to Johnny Rockets twice during the cruise and enjoyed it.

The service was wonderful. Susan, who was our room attendant, made sure we had our animal towels each night waiting for us. Our waiter and his assistant were good and never tried to rush us. We took one of the ships tours to Blackbeards Castle in St.Thomas and unfortunately our tour in St. Maarten was cancelled. We enjoy both islands and took this cruise to go back to St. Maarten even though we were there back in February.

On sea days I like to be sunning out on deck near the pool. In the past, on the smaller ships, I found that I would need to get out early to find a lounge chair. Not so this time. Yes the space is limited on the deck next to the pools but on the upper deck you can find a great spot overlooking the pool.

We did sign up for the ice show and it was great. We saw two other shows and enjoyed them also. One of our favorite spots is at the Bull and Bear on the Promenade to listen to the singer. We went there every night to relax and enjoy.Its also a good spot to people watch. We had planned to watch a movie up on deck one night but never found the time and we promised that we would this time since we never found the time during our last cruise.Oh well, maybe next time.

Arriving back at Port Canaveral was when we found the longest wait line to leave the ship during our whole cruise and that was about 10 to 15 minutes. That didn't stop us from booking our next cruise aboard Allure of the Seas for next September for another stop in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I do hope the hurricane gods will look out for us again. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Promenade Stateroom Deck 6 8595

Nice location overlooking the promenade. Drawer space limited.