Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by Sunray712: Worried for no reason

Compare Prices on Serenade of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Worried for no reason

Sail Date: September 2011
Embarkation: San Juan

I have always cruised from Florida and once from New Jersey. Going to San Juan to board was scary but I wanted to visit the Virgin Islands that I had never visited. I was worried about booking a hotel in San Juan. I worried about my luggage being over weight, the taxi ripping us off, missing the ship due to a hurricane, having bad weather and more. I also wasn't sure when to board the ship since it didn't leave until 8:30PM. I read a posting that said someone boarded the Serenade late morning but the hotel front desk person told me that I couldn't board until 2PM.

We board the ship about 12:30 in the afternoon and the Windjammer was barely full. The taxi and hotel were reasonable. No bad weather, just a few rough waves and a little rain.

The ports were nice. Somewhat costly in places. St. Maarten was the best for shopping. St. Croix didn't have much to offer. The ship was very nice and though we had to pass 24 staterooms to get to ours, I loved our room. More I'm a Crown and Anchor member and had to stand in line the day the ship returned to make sure that my coupons were added to my bill. I get a discount booklet each RCCL cruise and sometimes, even after turning in my coupons for discounts, they aren't posted on my bill. I received 30 minutes free Internet use while on board and a discount on using the ships long distances service on a $47 phone bill. It took about 1/2 hour to get it done but it was taken care of. I could easily take this cruise again.

I booked two nights in San Juan before returning home and chose a nice hotel -Courtyard of Marriott in Miramar. i worried in vain. And I repeat, we boarded the ship shortly after noon. We didn't have to wait until 2PM. My luggage wasn't overweight, in fact, in San Juan, it wasn't weighed. Less

Read more Serenade of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Serenade of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Serenade of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 9238

Our cabin was wonderful but the bathroom was smaller. The sofa bed was full size and comfortable. Our television was the old small ones but other cabins had the nice flat screens. Our stateroom attendant didn't make up the sofa bed and so there was no linen to sleep on and there were 3 of us. Calls to the stateroom attendant and guest relations did not help at all. The balcony was nice. We were able to store empty luggage under the bed.

Not a very long walk after getting off ship. The island men watched us closely wanting us to take a taxi. Lot of stores and a flea market pretty close. The prices were high. Look for the $9 t-shirts. They are nice and the people will print one for you if you don't see your size. Threre is a small grocery store and the gentleman will give incorrect change back. Signs posted state that you may receive island money for change.
Read 802 Antigua Reviews

The shopping area had some nice stores. Pricey. My favorite spot was the young girl who makes her own jewelry. The island people didn't greet us much and they seemed unfriendly. Some stores were air-conditioned but it was really hot.
Read 703 Barbados Reviews

It was so hot so there was a shuttle to the shopping area. There is a beach to enjoy, very close and walking distance. The vendors were expensive. I listened to a group complain that they paid for an excursion and set for 6 hours in the van. Not much shopping at all for us.

The shopping area right off the ship is large and nice. Watch those who want to give taxi rides. They wanted $125 for an unscheduled tour and there were only 3 of us. Hold you bags. There are a variety of shops and stores.

My favorite port. Nice walk to port stores. The area is very nice. Visit Mr. Baker the pina colada king. The tour around the island was great and the shopping away from the ship is the best ever. Our taxi driver, Maria took us to the other side of the island for $20 each. She was great. Eat some of the french pastries and coffee. I loved this stop so much. Something for everyone.