Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by benlor: Carnival Freedom to Panama

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Carnival Freedom to Panama

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

First...Stan Corliss!! Talent, voice, and showmanship, we enjoyed every minute. Every evening we would plan on another activity, then end up listening to Stan. He played music that everyone liked. I think the audience would have danced more if the lights weren't so glaring.

Speaking of lighting and decor...wow! Who put this together. I sat i one spot and looked at some kind of brightly striped woodgrain, maroon chenile patterned antique satin, and hot tropical patterned carpet from the 60's. All this in a small area. It looked like the leftovers from all the ships put on this one.

The strange plastic decapitated Lady Liberty light sconces were disturbing.

Those green chairs are uncomfortable and unsightly. No one wanted to sit on them

Food was great and service in the room was super. We had a great time.

Our big splurge was on the Panama Canal railroad tour to Panama City. It was air conditioned and the rail car was beautiful. Tour buses were More great, too.
Our guide, Arthur, was very loud and we wished he would relax a little. Don't plan on eating the lunch. It was a thin warm piece of some poultry in a bun. I was scared to eat it. Fortunately when we got to the Miraflores locks, we ran to the 4th floor and got to see the locks operate. We didn't get to see the locks as much as we wanted, but it was Ok. Maybe the best moment was when the train was waiting at a siding in the rain forest. I walked out on the rear platform and was in the middle of the rain forest in a rainstorm. It rained sheets and then the sun came out. It was awesome!

I guess, I am always annoyed at the expectation of the Maitre D tipping. I am not even sure what he does. He only came to our table the last night of the cruise. We enjoyed the "your time dining", though. Very convenient.

The Serenity deck...Isn't. Looks great. First there is not a seat anywhere. Yet few folks are up there. The seats are vacant with belongings on them for hours on end.
The raucous Reggae music blasts up there from the Lido deck and there were many complaints from people who expected something different in that venue. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Empress 7405

Loved the balcony. Our steward, Sarge, was so nice. The bed kept slipping apart. I think the mattresses are a bit old in that room, but that was the only complaint. I can't believe how much fits into that tiny room. That floor plan, which we have had on a previous Carnival cruise is great. I like that your door does not open right into your space and the bathroom door shields you from the hall if it does get opened. Closet space was so good. We loved it.