“Relaxing Getaway but McDonalds has better food”
Cruise review of Carnival Paradise

deepblu Carnival Paradise 3 Relaxing Getaway but McDonalds has better food
deepblu
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
My wife and I took this cruise to get away for a few days and relax. My wife loves to dance and there aren't a lot of places where we live that have the music she enjoys dancing to. We had taken this cruise with our kids several years ago and knew that they had places to dance on this ship. The Evening meal in the Elation Dining Room was very nice. Good portions with some very interesting variety that made dining there very enjoyable. The wait staff was excellent and the people we sat with at dinner were a lot of fun. The ports of call were relaxing as well. We didn't book any shore excursions through the boat but found a great zipline tour in Catalina. However!!! I'm not sure if I just wasn't noticing when we took our kids with us a few years ago but the food this time on Lido deck (Paris buffet and the Grill)was sup-par to say the least. I avoid McDonalds because of the bulk mentality of their food but by the end of this cruise I was craving the HUGE step up that McDonalds would be. (okay I'm being dramatic but it really was disappointing) The food was very generic, tasteless and in most cases stale. They have 2 main food lines inside and out and they pretty much served the exact same things for breakfast. Not to mention that for some reason the ship is setup so you have to stand in line for 5 minutes to get anything to eat. There were no original dishes, nothing that was in the least bit exciting, the ice-milk was just that. Definetely not Ice CREAM. They tried to pass some sort of wet spoungy material as cheese cake and it's the first time I've had hash-browns that I had to tear apart with my mouth like beef Jerky. I know this is quick getaway cruise that appears to be aimed at the population of Southern Cal but when I have gone on cruises in the past the food has been the highlight. Not so with the Paradise this trip.
Carnival Paradise Cruises to the Mexican Riviera
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Ocean View

6EE106
Good view from the window and substantial room for a 4 day cruise in the cabin. Cabin was small but comfortable. 2 closet areas for haning things up and several drawers and shelves for other items. Plenty of room to store everyting we took with us. This cabin is on the same level as the main lobby of the Grand Atrium but far enough down the hallway that you didn't hear the activity from the Atrium bar etc. Close enough to the mid-ship Stairs and Elevators to make access to everything very convenient. Cabin was fairly noisy during the evening hours. I think the Elation Dining room is right above this room but I still can't figure out why it sounded like someone was using a sledge hammer on the floor above us. It wasn't this way all the time mainily just in the evening between 4-8. The cabin also isn't very sound proof. We could hear things from above, below and outside in the hall. And just have to mention a little pet peeve. I still can't figure out why the bathroom light is on the outside of the bathroom on most ships. What's with that? If you go into the bathroom and forget to turn it on before entering you are in the dark. During the night when you turn it on you wake up everybody in the cabin because you have to turn it on before you shut the door. Who thinks up things like that?

We didn't book a tour through the ship. Instead we found a booth along the peir where the tenders dropped us off. I had investigated before the cruise and really wanted to try the zip-line tour offered there. (It isn't offered through Carnival) The zip-line tour was great. They gave us instructions and then took us on a bus to the beginning point half way up the mountain. There were 5 lines 2 of which were very long and the view was spectacular. The guides were very personal and made the experience fun and relaxing. Before and after the zip-line tour we pretty much just wandered around the town shopping. Catelina is a very quaint beautiful sea-shore town that can't help but relax you.
Published 10/07/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Paradise Review
Carnival Paradise Cruises to the Mexican Riviera
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?