Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Karecruiser

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: Karecruiser
Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8E

Not happy

Third cruise on Carnival in 18 months and have noticed a down hill slide in service, food and common curtesy.

Got to NYC by bus from WNY with 14 friends at 12:30pm. Pulled into the port and went to check in. My mother is 82 and had her walker with her and she was directed to a different line and got through check in before the rest of us and had to wait 20 min. till we were all checked through. Boarded and went to our cabins. Nice, same as most standard balcony cabins. Met Wi our cabin stewart and asked for the walls between balconies on both sides of us and be said no for safety reasons.

Went to get food at buffet. Average food. Loved the deli - rubbin, tuna and turkey wrap. Line ate wok but worth the wait. Pizza great- try the calzone - awesome! Happy to see chocolate chip cookies still the same. Cakes dry, cheesecake ok.

Breakfast buffet in simple, Danish very good. Did dining room once waited 20 before we got juice then another before pastries were offered (only once). My eggs Benedict came with hard yolks. Ordered room service twice for breakfast and got most of what we ordered and came at time asked.

Dinner we had 2 tables at the windows in the Platinum lower 6:00. Our waiter Indi was great but over worked. I noticed they have more tables the serve and getting food takes much longer. It was always 7:45 or after before we could leave and always had bad seats for the show at the theater. No more five course meals. They have lumped appetizers, soup and salad as Starter so you pick one and then your main meal and desert. Smart in one way your not stuffed and less waist of food. It wasn't a problem to have two starters if you wanted and Indi was very happy to get you something else if you were not happy. I did notice some of my favorites were

missing and there were less choices.

Ports of call were all right. Got into Boston at 4:00pm do to fog and were not able to do the on/off trolley we had tickets for. He told us to get on and he would take us the trolley route and bring us back. So we had a two hour tour of on stops and flying by each site of interest as the sun set and taking pictures were impossible. The ship does not dock were you can walk around. You have to take a taxi. Very disjointing.

Portland was the next stop. At a dock right at Old Port and very easy to walk around town but very hilly so mom couldn't go. Did Highlights tour - very nice. Got back at 4:30 to find 500 people in line to get back on the ship. Only one gangway with only one person at a time boarding. I brought my mother up to the security gate and asked if he could let her in to sit down. Was told no, that everyone had to stay in line. A very nice lady who was sitting on a folding chair give it go my mother and the people around started complaining about the treatment on the older people standing in line in 80 degrees and high humidity. After we got through the gate Carnival finally sent down wheelchairs and took those people aboard. One hour later I was on board with only half a hour to get ready for Elegant night. Not happy.

St. Johns NB was very nice and easy to walk around. Did lobster bake on the beach excursion. It was ok but to high priced ($99.00) when lobster is $12 a lb in town.

Halifax NS was like being in NYC. Long walks to everything or take a taxi. Did Peggy Cove tour-nice but over run with tourists. I can see why no one wants to live there any more.

I liked the dacore of this ship. Very colorful. We met in Colors lounge each night and had a very nice server (Darba) took care of us every night.

Ship was clean but did notice tables on the Lido deck by the back pool didn't get cleared off. We did it ourselves when we wanted to sit down.

Entertainment was lacking. Only two big number shows. Guess I need to go back to Disney for the great shows. Cruise director Josh was the same one on the last ship I was on and was not happy with him then and he wasn't any better. Not enough activities and parties like I'm use to on other ships.

Also have a few issues with the rudeness at guest services desk.

Debarktation has very long. We were out of our rooms by 8 but never left the ship until 11. Took for ever to get the people carrying their own luggage off the ship. Once we got through customs we called our bus driver and was told he had a hours wait to get into the port. Our luggage porter talked to him and told him to bring the bus to 12th st across from the port and pick us up there. 15 min. later we were on our way. Thank you so much to him.

All in all we had an ok time but I have noticed a big change cursing with Carnival and don't think my next cruise will be with them.

Publication Date: 10/07/11