Zuiderdam Cruise Review by raecruise: Nice Ship, but untrained staff

Nice Ship, but untrained staff

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

We sailed out of Vancouver for our 7 night inside passage cruise on the Zuiderdam.
Boarding was very slow, almost 2 hours and we were in a deluxe verandah suite. Once onboard we went directly to our suite and was surprised at how small the suite was and how it differed from the brochure pictures of a deluxe verandah suite. I was later told that the suite was smaller because it was the aft corner and had a much larger wrap around balcony. Just not what I expected for the cost. The suite lounge was laughable, always packed with kids and most of the food served was picked over and stale. The lounge attendant was useless on any request. I ordered high tea to be sent to the room one afternoon and received hot wings..no tea, the had to wait 25 minutes for 2 cups and 2 teabags..One afternoon we ordered a cheese and cracker plate thinking we would open a bottle of wine and sit on the patio. after almost 2 hours we received a plate with 4 triangle of mystery cheese that looked like it had More been taken from the deli and 3 wrapped saltine crackers..I couldn't even complain, we just laughed.BUT not what we should have been served, especially in their top of the line suite.
The dining room and speciality restaurants were quite good for almost every meal.

The Ship itself was in good shape, lots of new carpet and fresh paint.Most of the furnishings were newer and everything seemed in working order. The gym was well equipped and always busy.

With the exception of the Neptune lounge and room service I would say that the
staff was very good and always seemed friendly , our room attendant was superb and the waiters were efficient

I would recommend the Zuiderdam Less