Oceana Cruise Review by david williams: Pleasantly surprised after reading some bad reviews!

david williams
0 Post

Pleasantly surprised after reading some bad reviews!

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Southampton

My wife and I embarked on our first cruise and chose this short duration on P&O Oceana.

We had free parking at Southampton which was well organised and drove straight to the ship, just a short walk to the terminal building, on return again a short walk to pick up the car. Once inside the terminal it was well organised for embarkation, we were handed colour coded tickets and then waited a short time for the call to board.

Once on board we waited a short time before we could enter our cabin, we were on C deck in a LA grade outside cabin which was very spacious as it was the same deck as balcony cabins, so you had the extra balcony space in the room. Everything in the cabin was very clean, the shower and toilet area quite small but that's to be expected on board a ship. The only fault in the cabin was the TV, really needs upgrading to a flat screen with more channels and improved reception. Our cabin steward looked after us very well, even topping up the ice bucket More in the fridge.

We thought all the public areas on board were spotless, after reading some reviews I was expecting worn out carpets and fittings but did not see any of that.

We chose freedom dining, this suited us very well as we like to eat quite late and when we feel like, never a problem getting a table for two at 8.30/9.00.I was a bit disappointed I never got to use the paging system!

We ate in the main dining room in the evening and the food and service was excellent, the waiters very friendly.

Dress code was adhered to on formal nights, I wasn't looking forward to that as I'm not fond of formal attire, but was surprised to find I enjoyed it, although I did wear just a dark suit and tie.

After returning to the ship from a port of call in the afternoon we ate in the Plazza buffet restaurant, We read some reviews liking it to a cattle market, not so, queues yes but what do you expect on a peak time cruise ship! we always found a table as the waiters were very quick cleaning tables when someone left. We also ate at the Marco Pierre Restaurant at lunchtime, a short wait after booking a table, food excellent but not a huge choice.

Entertainment was good in the evenings, something going on in all the bars and theatres, although we went to Winners bar a few times and the same band were doing the same set as the night before.

Bar prices were comparable to a night out at home.

Plenty of space if you wanted to sunbathe, especially at the front of the ship away from the pool area.

At each port shuttle buses were laid on to take you to the centre, La Rochelle we found the prettiest. Brest was disappointing, mainly because all the the main

streets were being dug up for a new tramway system.

We were very pleased with the cruise and would go again. Less

Read more Oceana cruise reviews >>