Midnatsol Cruise Review by KandM: Cruise was great though maybe the wrong time of year
Overall Member Rating
Cruise was great though maybe the wrong time of year
Destination: Baltic Sea
This was our first cruise and were impressed with the facilities. The Midnatsol looks to be one of the newer ships in the fleet and it had some nice touches like a top deck jacuzzi, sauna (with a view) and small gym (with a view).
A lot has been said already by others that I need not repeat but for us the positives were:
1) the room, though small (we had a basic inside cabin) was well equiped and had enough storage to put everything away.
2) the staff were friendly and polite (and hard working)
3) the atmosphere on board was good. The majority of passengers were German so as English speakers there were fewer other people to talk to
4) Excellent dinners in the restaurant. Fish biased as you would expect but great. And we found the portions just fine.
We didn't spend time in Bergen as that was where we were flying from but that looked like a nice place to spend a day. Also would love to have spent an evening, or evening a few hours More in the evening, at Trondheim as that looked like the most interesting town.
What was not quite so good (and in some cases being picky here...)
1) Internet was free but sooooooo slow that it was almost unusable.
2) We docked at some places very quickly and there was no time to get off
3) We were running behind schedule for much of the time but would still depart a dock on time. This meant that if we had a 45/60 min stop, in theory, somewhere we often had only 20 mins to get off run around and get back on for the scheduled departure time.
4) breakfast was inconsitent and not very interesting at all. The choice of breads and pastries was poor and the hot selection was, on most days, a bit weird. so normally stuck to fruit and cereal (i.e. did not leave the dining room hungry!). A let down as dinner was so good.
Overall the "most beautiful voyage" was not quite up to expectations which was in part due to the time of year and weather. We had a couple of days on board with nothing much to see ".... we are just passing the Seven Sisters which are seven peaks, x metres high etc.... but you cannot see it due to the weather!!" So a chance to kick back and relax!
So now that I am home I am not raving about the trip based on what I saw and tell people to maybe check other months.
Having said that we had a ball, really enjoyed ourselves - hanging out on the ship / exploring towns when we could and relaxing. Less
Read more Midnatsol cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Midnatsol Review >>
Wonderful all-inclusive cruise...
Pleasing cruise on Marina
Baltic Cities and St Petersbur...
Brand new ship but disappointi...
The Norway Fjords and the Midn...
Chasing the Northern Lights on...
A totally different type of sh...