Statendam Cruise Review by Lemke: Statendam - Hawaii

Statendam - Hawaii

Sail Date: December 2004
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: San Diego

This was our 6th cruise. The first on Holland America.

The food was the best of any other cruise. Only disappointed with a few fish dinners. (The white fish was too soft.) The salmon was the best, if you like fish. I had a difficulty getting coffee before the meal as we are not wine drinkers, etc. with our meal and I prefer coffee. I did not like one of our waiters at dinner though. In a short tone of voice he informed us after about 3 nights that we were always 15 minutes late for dinner. I noticed there were other people at the other tables that sometimes came in later than us. We were always the first ones to leave the dining room on most evenings. That same night I ordered a baked potato and did not get it until my main course was eaten, but I did not inform him of that fact and was never short with him during the cruise.

Also guests that buy the soda pass should be informed that it is not served in cans but from a tap, as there is a big difference in taste. More

I especially enjoyed Billy on the staff. A very hospitable and entertaining young man. He was polite to the older cruisers. I am a married woman in my sixties and I admired the way he treated all guests, no matter their age. He always had a smile and good sense of humor. I am a bingo player so I did see him at the games and in the lounges at night when we wanted to listen to the good Filipino band in the Crow's Nest. It was nice to shake hands with him when leaving the ship when the cruise was completed.

We booked a helicopter ride and knew there would be an extra surcharge for weight limits. We found that together we were 35 pounds over when the tickets were delivered to our room. It was clearly stated on the tickets, but not on the tour website. We would have had to purchase a 3rd seat. We did not mind paying more, but not buying a 3rd seat at $218. I think the total weight should be explained up front when a tour is purchased and not printed as an extra surcharge fee on the tour site. We cancelled the flight at the front desk and booked another tour with no problem though. We were pleased with the help the front desk gave us on occasion and questions were answered in a friendly manner.

The public restrooms were handy and very clean. The Statendam Dancers were wonderful and very entertaining. I liked the fiddle player also.

We enjoyed the Whale Watching the best as the whales did swim right under our boat and jumped in close view. We were very fortunate to see this. We liked the river tour to the fern grotto with the talented and comical Smith family and their young hula dancer, the bus tour to the Falls, but were a little disappointed in the glass bottom boat tour.

I would go on Holland America again. Less