Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by optiman32: Oasis is great fun

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Oasis is great fun

Sail Date: September 2011

Sailed on Oasis leaving September 17th.
I was a little concerned with the size of the ship thinking everything would be a mob scene but I prepared my best prior to the cruise.
Based on the member reviews here I decided to avoid the Windjammer and we never set foot in the place. We also reserved all our shows, specialty restaurant dinner times, and shore excursions before we left home so we did not have to wait in any of those lines on board the ship.

While Oasis is huge the ship is easy to navigate with only 4 main passenger areas (Royal Promenade, Central Park, Boardwalk, & Pool decks)and with the interactive video information screens at the stairwells on each deck finding something is as simple as pressing a button. The elevators were very busy and this was one place where you had an idea how many fellow passengers were aboard. At times the waits for elevators were long. We almost always took the stairs. The only other time I felt the sheer number of passengers More aboard was when there was a "sale" on the Royal Promenade. The sheer number of wild-eyed bargain seeking women was soccer hooligan like and can best be described as a vultures on a carcass feeding frenzy, truly frightening.

The speciality restaurants are, in general very good. We tried them all except for the Chef's Table. I'll list them here in the order I think they ranked in terms of food and service;

Solarium Bistro - We had dinner here on two evenings, we canceled our dinner reservation at Izumi in favor of a second dinner here. The food and the service were wonderful on both nights we visited and the restaurant was never very busy. The spicy Pumpkin soup was out of this world good. They also do a "healthier" breakfast buffet here which is quite good.
Chops Grille - Dinner here was very nice, we chose to eat "outside", here you are in Central Park but in a glass enclosure, this is important as Central Park can get quite windy at times. The entrees were delicious and the mud pie was an awesome way to end the meal.
Giovanni's Table - They serve good Italian fare here and the service is good. Restaurant is a little noisy and the tables for two are quite close together so you're gonna here your neighbors conversation. The chocolate torte is fabulous.
150 Central Park is a very elegant restaurant which is billed as the "best" on-board. To be honest I think it fell short of this title. First off you only get to choose your entree everything else is fixed, add to that the $15.00 signature opening cocktail and your starting out with two strikes. Don't get me wrong, the food is good but it is of the artistic variety and the flavor doesn't match the pretty plate presentation. The spicy crab appetizer looked amazing but tasted like tuna fish from a can. I honestly would not return to this restaurant if I cruised on Oasis again.
Main Dining room - We only had dinner here the first evening of the cruise and breakfast here on day 6. The anytime dinning option seems to keep the servers in a constant state of chaos. On both out visits it seemed like the wait staff was in a complete frenzy mode. Not a relaxing way to have a meal so I am glad we did not visit often.
Izumi - I love Japanese food and was so excited about this restaurant that I made dinner reservations for two nights. Based on the experience the first night I opted to cancel the second night and return to Solarium Bistro and that was a very good decision. Izumi is confusing and very pricey. The food was good but it is not worth the ala-carte pricing.

Other Eats
Park Cafe - This casual complimentary restaurant is in Central Park directly across from Giovanni's and they make very good salads and mouth watering carved roast beef sandwiches.
Johnny Rockets - They serve complimentary breakfast here but lunch is a set $4.95 per person and this is the same menu and food you'll get at any land-locked Johnny's good burgers and good service with nice outdoor tables on the boardwalk.
Cupcake Cupboard - The cupcakes are delicious and innovative with flavors like the "Manly Breakfast" that has cream cheese frosting with chopped bacon on top..need I say anymore. The cupcakes cost extra but they are worth every penny.
Boardwalk Donuts - I tried donuts here twice and they were terrible both times. They tasted old and stale, not worth the calories.
Boardwalk Ice Cream Shop - The ice cream is good with lots of tasty choices, this is ala-carte and worth the extra $$ in my experience.
Sorrentos - Pizza shop, this pizza is a bit better than what I've had on other boats, fresh and very tasty options.

Shows and Such-

Hairspray - well done show. Lots of laughs
Come Fly with me - Amazing show
Frozen in time - very good fun
Headliner - this was an ABBA tribute show, it was fun even though I am not a big ABBA fan.
Comedy show - Both comics were awesome - very funny
Jazz on Four - Very talented quartet, toe tapping good times.
Globe and Atlas - Guitar player - Jimmy Buffet style sing along stuff. Good times.
Schooner bar - Piano man entertainer For some reason the piano man changed up all the timing of the songs making it almost impossible to sing-along?
Activities
Flowrider - This is great fun. It's hard to relax but once you get over the initial fear you can have a blast.
Did not do the rock climbing wall, never had socks with me!
The zip line takes all of eight seconds to complete so we concluded that this wasn't worth the wait in line.
Mini-Golf - Course is nice and in good shape
Pools - Didn't use the main pool but we did use the adult pool and hot tub area in Solarium and it was very nice, including the cantilevered hot tubs - great view of the ocean
Fitness Center - large and very nice but it is strange to not have a view towards the front of the ship.

Photo's
The ship uses facial recognition software to file all your pictures into a personal folio that you can find referenced on your room key, or you can slide your room key into a kiosk and view your photos electronically. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6 12202

This cabin has a very nice balcony The closets could be designed better as the safe takes up room The interactive TV is slow to load and quirky to use. Found it difficult to get cabin temperature comfortable - it took five days to get it right... Great location in the center of the ship

We did the Tulum Ruins express tour - The ruins are amazing but ths tour does not take you back to the ship so you need to take that into account. We walked the three miles back to ship and rewarded ourselves with Ice Cream sundaes once back on board!!
Read 3145 Cozumel Reviews

We did the Dunns river falls - Horseback ride tour. The falls are beautiful and the horseback ride was fun.
Read 494 Falmouth Reviews