Great Trip to Bermuda, I'll offer the highlights.
- Parking at port in NYC, too much, $210; look for NJ parking and take ferry
- Food on ship was very good. Lido cafe - not so much (too much like a college cafeteria), avoid the Lido coffee, coffee in MDR was good, excellent at coffee bar; food in MDR was excellent, evening at Canaletto Italian Rest. was very nice. Didn't eat in Steakhouse. I recommend having your breakfasts in the MDR. Burgers at poolside were very good too.
- Cabin was the largest we've had on any of our 5 cruises, NCL, Celebrity, 2 cruises on Azamara; bathroom was spacious, bed very comfortable, lots of closet space & storage. Very nice!
- Cabin service was excellent!
- Food service was good, servers could been more conversational, we did the open dining, not pre-set time, did have a few very nice food servers.
- Golf at Ocean View was a bargain on Tuesday which offered a 2 for 1; outstanding views, course was in ok shape, grass a bit long in fairways
- Fitness Room was very good, ship had a Concept 2 Rowing machine, (Model C) no monitor but worked well. Many treadmills, Elliptical, free weights, & weight machines. Great Sauna room, very hot.
- Pool Area was a bit small, we hardly used.
- Back sun deck was nice, some of the lounge chairs need repairing but this deck was very nice.
- Casino was small but very efficient in taking guests money.
- Shopping on board was very nice with some decent bargains on day 5 & 6.
- Entertainment was excellent, Mark Donata, singer was excellent as was the soloist lead female. Dancers were good. Magician Jeff and his dog Indy were very entertaining.
- Activities on board were very good, thanks Clare, (activity coordinator)
- Library on board was great, don't bring a book!
- Walking track on deck 6 was good.
- If returning to Bermuda, check out Gibbs Lighthouse, very nice visit, awesome island views. A bit scary out on the cat-walk at top of lighthouse if your afraid of heights.
- Ocean water in mid-September was very comfortable, visited Horseshoe Bay two days. Also visited Captain John Smith beach, was small and ok, wouldn't recommend if visiting from a cruise ship.
- Summary, I would definitely travel on Holland America and the Veendam again. The ship was a pleasantly very very nice, great size with less than 1,400 passengers. The two ports, St. George's & Hamilton also made this a wonderful trip. Bermuda is always very nice. And Bermudians are very welcoming. Most likely will be on the Veendam next August or September. Happy Cruising.