Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by daybreak42

Cabin Category: BA
        3-6 4.0

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Sky was MUCH better than I anticipated
I was a little anxious about my first time cruise after reading some of the reviews here. I am VERY picky about where I stay on vacation. I can be a little high maintenance. Our room was very small but very clean. And seriously we really did not spend much time in our room at all. We boarded quickly. We were greeted by a VERY enthusiastic crew with Caribbean music playing. Make sure you pack your bathing suit and/or a change of clothes and any toiletries you need because you will wait anywhere from 2-5 hours for your suitcase. They told us we would have our luggage by 7:00pm and we had our way before then.

Shortly after boarding we made dinner reservations for Cagney's & Le Bistro. The food at Cagney's was MUCH better than I expected. The filet mignon I had was one of the best I've ever had. Le Bistro was just ok. We had awesome waiters at both restaurants. The buffet is about what you would expect. For breakfast I would highly recommend The Palace. Nice sit down restaurant that is included with the freestyle dining. Dinner there wasn't as impressive. If you don't like food at one place, you can go to another place or hit the buffet. The hidden gem we found was Longboard Sports Bar. The wait staff here was exceptional! Especially Muthu & Shighash.

We swam withe the dolphins in Freeport. It was the most incredible experience ever!!

Great Stirrup Cay is undergoing renovations so overlook the construction. We signed up for a snorkel excursion here. I was expecting to be taken out and snorkel out further in the sea. But the snorkeling is right off the beach which made me think, "we aren't going to see anything but seaweed." Wow was I wrong about that!!! I snorkeled most of the day and I saw thousands of fish. I even saw a stingray! I HIGHLY recommend snorkeling here. It was awesome. They did a nice BBQ lunch here and there is a small marketplace. Bartering isn't so great here. I would save that for Nassau.

Our excursion in Nassau was the beach at Atlantis. The lines for the bus were long so we took a taxi. Definitely worth the $4 per person charge. The beach was paradise! Gorgeous crystal clear waters here. Rented a wave runner. Again....barter with the locals on the beach here even with the water sports. There are alot of locals walking around the beach selling everything from pina coladas to beaded jewelry. I love to barter so it didn't bother me but some people were annoyed with it. The local people are very humble and great to barter with. Atlantis was amazing. Would LOVE to spend a few days there.

The cruise went by sooooo fast! I will be glad when The Sky goes non-smoking. The staff is huge and I only found 2 of the staff members to be rude. One was the "towel guy" by the pool and the other was a clerk in the gift shop. The staff was more than accommodating to us. I would highly recommend this cruise.

Publication Date: 10/02/11