Carnival Elation Cruise Review by DonnaBeachLover: Elation Cruise Sept. l0-l5

Compare Prices on Carnival Elation Western Caribbean Cruises

Elation Cruise Sept. l0-l5

Sail Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Mobile

We left metro Atlanta and drove l/2 way to Montgomery, AL to spend the night @ LaQuinta the night b/4 the cruise driving the rest of the way the next am.

We were looking forward to being VIP/Platinum and avoiding the lines. On this cruise was my daughter, her 5 yr. old son and myself. My grandson had a new pirate hat and his Carnival pirate t-shirt on for the embarkation picture. That is one picture we usually buy ea. cruise. This was my daughter's 9th Carnival Cruise and my l2th on Carnival. The line for VIP turned out to be longer than the people going thru the regular lines. We noticed a few people and watched to see if they got on the boat b/4 us and they did! Very slow for Platinum. We were finally directed to a little temp. table set up in the middle of the room where we obtained our sail and sign cards then were told to take a nearby kind of side door. We could tell we were not going to be walking by the photo place for the embarkation pictures. We said what about the More pictures and were told oh, you will get them taken once you are actually on the ship. Of course this did not happen- only the ones going on sail and sign cards taken over there. So we were disappointed no embarkation pictures this trip. On our way off the boat my daughter was counting the laptop computers set up to process people getting on the boat that morning. There were about 30 computers so you can see 30 people helping process cruisers. I guess this explains why the people not VIP got on board b/4 all of us that were VIP waiting for just a few people to process us. The bad - TV was horrible. Color was bad/very small and picture so dark you couldn't see the people's faces at night with the lights turned down. It was small- maybe l9" and the old fashioned kind of TV. I know many think well you don't spend much time in the cabin. Maybe not normally when I am with my husband but with my daughter and I having her 5 yr. old son he was tired and ready to go to bed early so we did try to watch TV in the evenings since we could not leave him alone. There are no refrigerators on the Elation either. I noticed you know longer get your Sail and Sign statement until the very last minute - during the middle of night b/4 departing that am. I prefer to keep up with it earlier and think it should be delivered before the last minute in case there is a problem.

The food was good and we enjoyed it. We were assigned an early dining table with people who also had children and it worked out well. Everyone at our table including the kids seemed to be ordering multiple starters/entrees/deserts. The servers did not have a problem with this.

Everyone working on the ship were nice and friendly. I'm not saying they carried on conversations but would smile and speak.

We only went to one show the lst night I think and was not impressed with the singers.

We did have a comment on Camp Carnival. My grandson is 5 yrs. old. The 5 yr. olds are lumped into the same class as the 2 yr. olds. It's 2-5. We think he would have had a much better time being in a class with just 5 yr. olds or 4/5's or 5/6's. The activities were of course geared down to what a 2 yr. old can do which is certainly not the same level as a 5 yr. old. Less

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Elation Oceanview Empress

This was our 5th and 6th trip to Cozumel. I was glad Progreso is the lst stop because the water is not nearly as clear/beautiful color as Cozumel. Progreso looks more cloudy. So better to enjoy the beautiful water on the 2nd stop rather than be disappointed @ Progreso if we had been there lst. We took a taxi ride over to Mr. Sanchoes. It's $l5 each way for l-4 people. At Mr. Sanchoes you can choose a $49 per person all inclusive admission with all you care to order to eat or pay as you go with free admission. We chose the free admission side. The pool is also larger on the side that is $49 ea. We enjoyed the beach - did some snorkeling off the beach and saw some pretty fish. My daughter bought the $l2 arm band for my grandson which allowed him to use the water toys in the ocean right off the beach. These include like a rock wall you climb, a volcano, floating trampoline etc. We had lunch and drinks there. They have a small pool but it's very pretty. About 3 ft. deep and it's an infinity pool. They also offer massages, waverunners, parasailing and banana boat rides here.

Read 3099 Cozumel Reviews

This was our lst time to go to Progreso. We did the open air double decker bus tour which is only $3 ea. Then a trip to the beach. I was happy to see massages on the beach are only $l5 and I really enjoyed that. We shopped in the straw market area. As we were ready to head back to the ship massages were being offered for only $l0 in the building in the straw market area. (both the $l5 beach massage and $l0 straw market are 30 min. long). You take a "free" bus ride from the ship over to the straw market. The current seemed a little strong at the beach. Definitely bring life jackets for small children.

Read 284 Progreso Reviews