Star Flyer Cruise Review by popeye1954: Wonderful experiece , but room for improvement

popeye1954
Member Since 2011
1 Post

Compare Prices on Star Flyer Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Wonderful experiece , but room for improvement

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Monaco

I have just returned from a wonderful holiday on the Star Flyer in the Mediterranean, overall it was a memorable trip, but marred slightly by things which could be improved so easily!

I estimate that 80% of the passengers were non smokers, and although you have a smoking policy it is was not adhered to, in fact one day in the tropical bar 3 German passengers were smoking cigars in full view of the Captain, The Hotel Manager and the Cruise Director! even though cigars and pipes were only to be smoked on the upper sun deck.

Several of the British passengers I spoke to avoided the Tropical bar area because smoking was allowed! Perhaps you could consider changing your policy to "Smoking ONLY allowed on the upper sun deck or even no smoking at all!!

The chafing dishes used in the dining room did not keep the food hot, even going in for breakfast at 08.00 the food was at best luke warm, and some days cold! I did point this out to the head waiter but he was More extremely offhand about it and couldn't see "my problem".

As to being advised the level of tipping (because according to the Cruise Director cabin & catering staff do not get paid!??) I feel that tipping should be discretionary, and only for exceptional service, and I personally felt no one on the ship did any more than they were actually paid to, so perhaps you should change the charging structure to include this in your overall costs and stop the begging!!

Internet access charged at 12 Euros for an hour! That's the equivalent to what I pay monthly at home, when you are spending £4000 on a holiday, it should be included!

Why is diving an additional cost when other water sports are included?

Charlie the entertainer was very good, but did not know any Scottish tunes so we couldn't demonstrate a Strip the Willow or Eightsome reel to the non Scottish passengers , perhaps you could supply each ship with an appropriate CD of tunes.

Mail posted on the ship, which I was assured would be posted in the next port, did not get posted until 11 days after we disembarked!!

On a positive note, the ship was kept immaculately, The "sail away" experiences with Vangelis playing were very emotional, the deck/tender crews were very courteous and cheerful and overall it was a very memorable holiday which I have already recommended to friends. Less

Read more Star Flyer cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Flyer Review >>

Cabin review: Star Flyer 125

No problem with the cabin at all, I'm a bit deaf but the constant generator noise did bother my partner a little