Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by gracki504: Great Weather, Great Cruise, Great Summit Experience

gracki504
Member Since 2004

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Canada & New England Cruises

Great Weather, Great Cruise, Great Summit Experience

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

We could not have a picked a better two-week period to visit New England and Canada. The weather was great - a little rough sailing on the first couple of days because of Hurricane Maria's distant roar but the we and the Summit handled it very well. This was our thirteenth cruise since 1990. The Summit is due for an uplift, however, the minor paint chipping, the railing rust, the morning sun shining through the pinholes in the drapes, did nothing to take away from her splendor. I cannot wait to see her when she's done with her Solstice-sizing at the beginning of the year.

Now for some specifics:

EMBARKATION - Excellant rapid service. No issues here. I had rented an electric scooter to use while on board and it was waiting for me outside my cabin door - this proved to be a great convenience throughout our trip. Charging it was not possible in the room, so our cabin steward Rolando suggested the Library, "Books", just down the hall.

CABIN: We always go with More Concierge class on Celebrity. But the first night suggested I would need another mattress - I filled out a complaint form and received a replacement which was much firmer for my back. My wife requested a third pillow, we requested three towels, we had a bottle of champaign and a fruit bowl waiting for us when we walked in the room - all in all the cabin was just fine as were all the pleasantries of Concierge Class.

DINING: It has become evident that food portions have decreased over the past few years and rightfully so - there was probably so much waste in the past. However, there was never an issue with our waiter Percian and his assistant Christifano when we asked for more lamb chops or another lobster tail. In all, our dinner and our wine service was excellent.

TOURS: All the cities we visited had something to offer by way of history and beauty. We took mostly full day tours that provided lunch - mostly 'CHOWDA' and 'LOBSTAH' in New England!

Quebec est tres jolie. One of the prettiest cities we've ever been in. Arriving on a Sunday afternoon, we had pre-booked a two-hour horse and carriage tour with our friends which took us to places in the city that a tour bus could not go. Our tour guide Johnny had a good rapport with the horse and he was full of history and knowledge of Quebec. Calèches de la Nouvelle-France was the tour company.

Sydney was the only tour that left much to be desired. Bus was old, tour guide had a microphone problem, etc. Lunch was good - never had Potato Pie before!

ENTERTAINMENT: I don't like it when cruisers characterize the entertainment on board as "regular cruise-fare" - well, of course - it's not Broadway and we shouldn't have that expectation. Having said that, the Dance Shows were very entertaining - how those dancers can go on and on always amazes me. The Summit Band was terrific. All of the acts over the two weeks were good.

SERVICE IN GENERAL: We have to give a shout-out to the Summit's Medical Staff - We had an issue which could have been disastrous had they not been able to solve it.

Waiters in the buffet cafeteria on deck 10 were in abundance - if they saw you with a cain, they never hesitated to take your tray and wait with you online as you selected your food an bring it to your table. The hamburgers and the hot dogs just outside on the pool deck, were delicious.

We got to know Captain Panos - he came from an island in Greece next to my parents island. Needless to say, we had an excellent rapport. We got to know the Hotel manager, Jamie Petts, who offered us the Bridge Tour. The Maitre D' was ever present at dinner; the dinner receptionist would always take my scooter and park it out of the way of the dining room entrance -like she was my personal valet.

All in all, I would never hesitate to go on Celebrity again - this was our fourth Celebrity Cruise an dcannot wait to go on the Summit after she gets her new facial! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>