Disney Magic Cruise Review by Gator Mike

Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: 6A
See More About: Disney Magic Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Magic Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Magic Deck Plans
Disney Magic Transatlantic - almost perfect
My wife and I were on the Disney Magic Westbound Transatlantic cruise in stateroom 7634. This was our eighth cruise and the second with Disney (the other being on the Disney Dream). In most respects the cruise was superb.

Our cabin was much bigger than on the other non-Disney cruises we've taken. It was well appointed and the bed was very comfortable (a real concern for me because of some back issues). Our steward, Marvin, did an excellent job at keeping the cabin clean and the towel origami animals were so much fun we took a picture of each one.

The food was the one area we were disappointed with. In short it was mediocre - compared with the other lines we've sailed with (Celebrity, NCL and Princess) I would rate it last. I loved the rotational dining between the 3 main dining rooms but the soups and sauces were bland, the salads were bitter and the meat sometimes overcooked. On the night we had lobster (all six at our table ordered it) the lobster was so overcooked it was actually tough. It truly seemed to be convention quality food, not restaurant quality. That said, the service we received from Marcellito and Sandor was very good. Sandor's magic tricks were a lot of fun.

The food at Topsiders buffet was ok - which is pretty much what you expect from a buffet. We enjoyed lunches at Lumiere's more than at the buffet.

The food at Palo's (the specialty restaurant) however, was exceptional. Everything was prepared perfectly and the quality was superb.

I need to point out that the food on the Disney Dream was uniformly excellent. Maybe the kitchens on the Magic were in transition or there were problems with the purveyor in Barcelona, in any event it fell far short of what we expected.

The entertainment on the Magic was, well, magic. A lot of cruise lines like to talk about Broadway quality stage shows but Disney actually delivered. The "Twice Charmed" and "Dreams" shows were particularly spectacular. The staff did a great job of putting together 14 nights of top notch entertainment - some stage shows, some cabaret acts. Most nights my wife and I went to both the family show and the later adults only shows.

We also enjoyed the spa facilities. My wife and I purchased a 7 day pass to the "Tropical Rainforest" relaxation room and enjoyed every minute we spent there. The Spa staff were always helpful and friendly.

Embarkation was relatively smooth and debarkation was easy until we waited in line 45 minutes to get the car rental shuttle.

All in all the ship was lovely and well maintained, the crew and staff were always friendly and smiling, the weather was beautiful most of the time and the seas were generally calm. Overall our experience on the Magic was terrific.

Publication Date: 09/30/11