Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Hotairtours: Best Vacation Ever

Best Vacation Ever

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Booked this cruise for a group of friends for our anniversaries. Carnival has raised the bar with it's new ship Magic. The customer service and cleanliness were the best I have experieced on a ship. Here are a few notes about our expereince:

Embarkation: Was quick and efficient. Received our luggage prior to sailing.

Rooms: We booked the back end balconies. Really enjoyed the panoramic views. It was great to be on the back of the ship as we were sailing out of port. My only compaint is that we had a cabin on the side and it was VERY SMALL compared to our friends cabins of equal price. Beaware, if you book an aft end balcony the ship curves on the sides and our cabin was SMALL. Housekeeping was amazing the room was clean and our cabin steward was discreet and did not bother us. We also opened all five balconies in our group and were able to hang out together on the balconies.

Food: Carnival has really done a good job with food on this ship. We ate in the More dining room every night and had outstanding service and food. We chose to do the Chef's Table on one night (a $75.00 per person up charge) it includes a 12 course meal, champagne and wine included. You meet with the head chef who explains each course, takes you on a galley tour, and shows you how they make the chocolate melting cake. It is for a small group only (12 people) and requires and advanced reservation. You eat at a large table in the kitchen and the food was incredible. We also ate at the Cocina restaurant. Good food and fund atmosphere. Be aware that they only allow you one main course per person. The lido deck food was the best I have inexperienced. They have the typical buffet fare as well as a Mongolian station with stir fry that is individual to you, a burrito station similar to Chiptole again that you customize. The day at sea I also got to see the dessert station. They have taken it to a new level with chocolate fondue with all of the fruit and pastries for dipping. My husband loved the sushi bar. All in all great food!

Cleanliness: The ship was always being cleaned. I observed employees cleaning everything. I saw hand rails wiped down multiple times each day.

Customer Service: The ship had excellent service. My only complaint is that the bar wait staff and bartenders were slow.

Ship: The ship itself was nice. It has many amenities for kids and the Serenity deck would be nice if this was a family cruise. This sailing had very few kids on board so it was not a problem. Enjoyed the Red Frog Pub. Would have like it if there was not an up charge for food here.

Itinerary: This was AMAZING! A new port each day with only one day at sea. We booked a private tour in Livorno, Rome and Monaco. This was perfect for our large group of 10 and was about the same price as the excursions. Most of the other ports had taxis that would take you on a tour for a set price. We did this in several ports and we also took the double decker bus it is a good way to see the city for a good price. I would highly recommend it! Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Empress 7460

Our cabin 7460 was VERY SMALL. Do not book the cabins on the back sides where the back of the ship curves. Our friends had the cabins in the middle back and they were a good 20-25 feet larger. For the biggest cabin on the back choose the cabin in the middle. We did not have a couch, table or extra closet that the other cabins had. The balconies say they are extended but they seemed the same size.