Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by Mary O'Reilly: Navigator Just TOO Big

Navigator Just TOO Big

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

I have always wanted to visit Athens and Kusadesi, but my husband has no interest in holidaying, so when I was invited by friends to join them on this cruise, I jumped at the chance. I nearly gave up when I couldn't find a reasonable price, but eventually I got a very good deal from an Internet agency. I parted with my credit card details, got the cruise and transfers booked, and felt very pleased with myself. I booked the air fare myself, and ended up with a stateroom, sole occupancy, for the same rate as my friends who were sharing! When we arrived at Rome airport, there was no way were Royal Caribbean personnel allowing us NOT to get to the ship. Everything was laid on, but I had no transfer documentation. Eventually my name was found and I was en-route to the ship!! I looked in awe at the size of the ship. It towered over everything! I had never seen anything quite so big.

Embarkation.

It took about 15 minutes of slow walking before I was called to the desk, and More there a very pleasant young man took my details, forms etc. and issued me with my Sail Pass. Then it was onto the quayside and boarding. While I was trying to get my transfer sorted out, my friends got ushered onto a bus, so I was on my own. I dropped my hand luggage in my stateroom and spent nearly 3 hours traversing the ship in the hope of finding my friends. Eventually we all bumped into each other.I found places on the ship that I could never find again. But I did find nice quiet places where I could enjoy the ocean and read or sleep!! Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Navigator of the Seas Promenade Stateroom Deck 6

my cabin was sole occupancy and as such was very comfortable, plenty of everything. I would imagine that for two people it would be a bit tight. My friends' cabin which was an inside, was VERY small and completely inadequate for two people. There was absolutely no noise either from the hallway or the promenade. On my next cruise, I will definitely go for a balcony cabin, and it must be sole occupancy.

Here I had booked the tour to the Acropolis and eagerly looked forward to it. I had hoped that there would be no strikes and so I was lucky. The guide had us warned about being sure-footed, telling us that the surfaces were extremely slippery, and that every day somebody fell etc etc. We were each given a little ear piece so that we could hear her no matter how far back we were. We arrived at the site, but there must have been 1000 people in front of me, dogs lying about in the heat, and I was in such a state, in case I would fall, that I didn't enjoy it at all. After encountering a few steps with no handrail, I made my way back down to street level and waited for the bus. Then we were taken on a tour of the city, which was great. So many beautiful buildings, it looks like a place to be enjoyed on foot.

Hadn't book anything here, so thought that I'd have a look at the Venetian harbour in Chanai. Got on the bus, paid 1.50E for one way ticket, and after 30 minutes we were in the town. I thought that I could just stroll from the harbour to the town, but no. Got directions from a man selling tickets for his open-top bus, and after 5 minutes was at the Venetian harbour. What can I say. It was beautiful, water crystal clear, pony cars for hire, plenty of bars and restaurants. No pressure to buy drinks or anything. So laid back and serene. Only place in the world where I've overpaid by mistake and the waiter to refund me..... Would have wished for more time here, but the visit was short, as there was the bus ride back to the ship, and factor in the fact that you may have to wait for 30 minutes for the next bus. Crete is definitely on my list of places to spend more time in.

Here I booked a private tour. Fantastic. Personal guide and private car. First stop was Mary's House. It was shady and calm and no throngs of people. (10am) Then we went to Ephesus. This was a far more meaningful experience than Athens. We did it at our own pace. There was no need to hurry or keep up with anybody, or worry about an ear piece falling out!!!! The guide was very knowledgeable and what he didn't know about Ephesus, would fit on a cent coin. I would encourage everybody to take the private tours, so much better than the organised bus tours. I used Ekol travel. There was the opportunity to go to a carpet factory and a leather factory. One carpet factory is the same as the next, just a hard sell. At the terminal building, I found the same set-up, with the girl knotting on a small loom. I didn't put myself under any further pressure by going to the leather factory.

Read 357 Kusadasi Reviews