Disney Wonder Cruise Review by llachance: Pacific Coastal on the Wonder

Pacific Coastal on the Wonder

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Vancouver

Spent last week on the Disney Wonder traveling from Vancouver to Los Angeles. My friend and I had an inside cabin and my mother was across the hall with a balcony. Had late seating (PTTAP)at table 24 with Nelson as the server and Cindy as his assistant. Purpose of this cruise was to relax and I did.

Traveled to Vancouver 2 days early and stayed at the Renaissance on the waterfront. Wonderful stay and since my husband is Platinum with Marriott we stayed on the club floor and had lounge privileges so breakfast and dinner were taken care of. Bought a couple of bottles of wine to carry on board. Our boarding time was 11:30. Walked to the port, turned in our bags and we were in Parrot Cay for lunch by 12:30. We had boarding number 9 and they were boarding number 6 while we were checking in. Got my silver lanyard...We were allowed in the rooms at 1:30 and not a second before (somewhat surprising since the ship had been in dry dock the previous two weeks)met our room steward More Filbert, the wine and cheese I had ordered for my mother's room was already there. Muster drill was at 4:00 and we were in Animator's Pallet, no need for life jackets and we sailed shortly after. Only two stops on this cruise Victoria and Ensenda.

First night the captain sailed through the San Juan Islands. It isn't very far to Victoria. We docked in Victoria and you could go ashore at about 8:30 am. I had booked High Tea at the Empress at 11:30 am through Open Table. Saved some money over the Disney excursion. It was as good as I hoped. Disney provided free shuttle buses to downtown. If you wanted to walk it takes about 30 minutes.

The first night on the open ocean was pretty rocky. 15-20 foot swells according to the captain and 40 mph winds across the bow. Lots of green looking people. The next night was not nearly as rough. It did stay cloudy and cool while at sea though. I think people were surprised.

Hit the gym twice for personal training. For the price had two great workouts. Had the ultimate spa indulgence package and was pleased for the price.

Food is always subjective but I will tell you that as a beef eater that likes my beef "bleu" this is the first time I have had it served that way each and every time - to include every cruise line I have been on. That says enough for me. The only meal that wasn't good was the Mahi Mahi, it was too dry but a bit more curry sauce made up for it. My mother bought a wine package and the choices were varied and good. Didn't go to the buffet at all so can't speak for any of the fast food experiences.

Favorite for me was the Cove/Outlook cafe. With cool sea days it was the perfect place to hang out and read and drink coffee. Lattes were 4 bucks and if you wanted regular coffee you just had to walk a few yards to the free coffee and bring it back. There were also snacks, a daily paper and magazines available.

Off the ship on Sunday. Although it seemed to take forever we were in the taxi to LAX in about an hour. Cab was flat rate $57.00 for one to seven people.

I booked my next Disney Cruise on board for the discount and on board credit. I will be sailing on the Magic out of Galveston. Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Wonder Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Wonder Standard Inside Stateroom Deck Five 6145

This cabin is a typical Disney cabin without the split bath. There is a flat screen TV installed. Never heard any hall noise at all.

Didn't get into town, but have been there before so no biggie. We took a Disney Excursion in this port - Wine tasting. We visited to wineries. The samples were generous and we also each got a bottle of wine....best of all it was an adult only excursion :)

Read 252 Ensenada Reviews

Ate high tea at the Empress Hotel. A bit pricey but was worth it. Victoria is a town that is easy to walk around and with all the flowers and the water is very pretty.

Read 558 Victoria Reviews