Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by bluebell101: First Transatlantic - Good but not great!

bluebell101
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

First Transatlantic - Good but not great!

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Southampton

In our mind Cunard is the creme de la creme of cruise lines, and to have the opportunity to sail to New York onboard QM2 we were so very excited.

Monday 15th August we embarked at Southampton. My husband and I and the 2 kids (age 11 & 13 years).

We had booked for 2 inside cabins on Deck 5. After checking in we arrived at the entrance to be greeted by the ships crew and lots of 'bellboys' as the kids put it!

The atrium was stunning, it looked very grand and plush and we couldn't wait to explore. We arrived at our cabins and our suitcases were already there.

It was a cloudy dismal day for sailaway, and having travelled on P&O we were surprised and disappointed there is no band to sail away too, so it all seemed rather flat. The next few hours we looked around and then headed back to get changed for dinner. We chose late sitting and we arrived all looking lovely at the Brittania Restaurant. There was an issue and our table was double booked, More the maitre'd was rude and abrupt and made us feel like we were sitting in the wrong place. When we showed him our table number which was in our cabin, he simply shrugged and asked us to follow him to another table. We were put in what can only be described as a 'walkway' with half a dozen other tables. There was no way we were going to sit there for a week and we asked that he find us an alternative. His answer was as we were 'late bookers' you got what was left. Lovely response. Unfortunately I lost it and after a very heated exchange we were swiftly moved to another table. Also while this was going on, a lady came into the dining room wearing a pink velour tracksuit and was allowed to sit down and eat !

Moving on, the food we found in the restaurant was good, but nothing special, we have had better. Our waiter was lovely. The areas of the ship were clean, showing some kind of wear and tear but I do understand she is off to dry dock in November so these things will be rectified.

Our cabins were spacious and we had a good location on the ship. The children's clubs were sufficient, again nothing spectacular in comparison to say Azura. I don't mean to compare but our whole perception of cruising on Cunard was that it would be just so elegant and have the latest facilities in all aspects - sadly not always the case.

The indoor pool upstairs is boring.

There is lots going on at all times for all ages. Have never seen so many people out on Promenade Deck whilst on a cruise !!! We were lucky with the weather, bright but breezy most days, but you can't really sit out.

As you near New York the marine life is there to be seen. Whales and dolphins which was just lovely.

The highlight was of course the arrival into New York. We got up at 5.15am (so did the kids) and it was just stunning.

We found it hard going to do the TA crossing at first, but you soon get into a routine. Did not think the evening entertainment was that good. When I read my review back, I sound like I am complaining, but we did have a lovely time, but I think we had a view of how we expected QM2 to be and it really wasn't like it. The kids loved it, and we met up with some great people. Would we do it again ..... not sure !!! Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>