Carnival Dream Cruise Review by O&P Cruiser: Meh

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Meh

Sail Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

There were several good and bad going on with the Carnival Dream.

Pros - The gym was huge and very clean. Always an available chair at the pool. For having like 4200 guests on the boat, lines at the buffets moved quickly. I ate lunch every day at the Tandoor station and am SO grateful Carnival offers this dining option. Our waitstaff Gilbert and Imade took excellent care of us. I found the rotating indian vegetarian dinner fabulous. I think we ordered it 5 of the 7 meals. The ship is huge with plenty of activities. We thoroughly enjoyed the wine tasting. The sommelier was extremely knowledgeable and really taught us a lot. We also did the Chef's Table. IT WAS THE BEST DECISION EVER. The food was exquisite and well presented. Getting to know the head chef was nice. It is a must do experience. And finally, all the awesome people we met on the cruise really made the trip fantastic.

Cons - For whatever reason, our room was directly across from a main crew door. Every More morning from 4a.m. on I was awoken by the sound of the staff slamming the door, banging carts around, and talking to each other. There were several times that we got out of bed and complained to staff and the management, but no resolution could be reached.

All the previous reviews of this boat about the strange odors are true. It made for some funny conversations. I was also a little put off with the amount of children running around the casino. We requested to sit with a group for dinner, but were instead placed at a two person table at the back ship window. The view was beautiful, but we had no one else to chat with. The food in the dining hall was so-so (excluding the indian vegetarian which was always fabulous). The didya ever menu mostly consisted of fried/buttered foods that were too rich to eat. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Upper 6420

It was a traditional balcony room that has 4 beds. I hated being across from the loud, early rising crew members. Also, my cabin was directly above one of the smoking sections making the balcony unusable. Lesson learned for the next cruise.

I am so disappointed in my choice here. I booked the Belikin Brewery and city tour through the Wet Lizard. While researching further before the trip we learned that we would be in town for Belize's independence day. How exciting. Maybe there will be a parade and lots of Belikin beer sold on the streets. Then we thought, maybe we should confirm our reservation because what if the stores close for the holiday and the city would be a waste to visit. We were told that our trip was confirmed and not too worry. We get up early in Belize, meet at the Wet Lizard, and guess what... the brewery is closed today. The owner of the bar apologized and said she forgot that this day was the national holiday. What a waste! Thankfully, we found the cheapest beer option inside the port. A place called Cate's Place which is a Belikin store. You can get the stout for $2.50 a beer rather than $4 at the bars and the owners are very friendly. We also met an awesome couple who were traveling on the Legend to chat over beer with.

I originally wanted to do an all inclusive at this port but glad I didnt. I had a pretty hefty hangover in this port and drinking wasnt going to happen. We took the $2 cab ride to the fishing village which was completely dead. Of the 4200 people on the boat, only 20 came to the village and my husband and I were basically harassed the entire visit by the street vendors. We went back to the port and stopped at the tequila store on the outer edge of the port and bought some friends a few gifts. They do samples and beer was 3 for $4, but it was just not happening for me that day. I think next time, I will pick a cruise that doesnt go to Costa Maya.

(5.5)
I love Cozumel and I discovered a new way to save $ on booze. I mean, I am sure many people do it, but I just cant believe I learned this now. We rented a car from this small independent company called Isis. I shouldnt just say car, it was a bright purple convertible VW bug. We drove along the scenic highway and made a quick stop at Punta Sur. Finally, we stopped at the nearby grocery store. We bought a $1 ham sandwich for lunch (best cheap lunch ever) and bought a bottle of tequila for $9 (it sold for $30 at the port). I will now make sure to stop at the grocery store whenever I am in port. The day was fun and it was nice to be away from the crowds.

Read 3121 Cozumel Reviews

(5.5)
We booked the Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme Zipline Tour. I have never been ziplining before so I figured I would go for the big one. The staff were amazing and really made me feel comfortable... well as comfortable as they could. I cried and screamed a lot, but had a lot of fun. We then asked the driver to stop at a nearby grocer. We were told by the head chef that the best bananas are in Roatan so we bought some and cheap beer that we enjoyed back at the port. Roatan is a gorgeous area of jungle and mountain and beach. It is hard not to fall in love with the area.

Read 1650 Roatan Reviews